[News] GNOME's Stormy Inquires About Economics of Free Software

  • Subject: [News] GNOME's Stormy Inquires About Economics of Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:27:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Should you ask developers for money? And other interesting fundraising dilemnas.

,----[ Quote ]
| What's the single most important thing you
| think free software projects could do to
| improve their fundraising efforts?
| Start reading emails from organizations like
| MoveOn.org and BarackObama.com and start
| emulating them and their tactics. You don't
| have to agree with them politically to see
| how they're doing what they're doing.
|
|   A lot of people are going to call me crazy,
|   but look: I'd argue that 	GNOME has as
|   much if not more installations than the
|   number of people that are subscribed to
|   MoveOn.org's email list. And unlike
|   MoveOn.org, a lot of these users are
|   interacting with your software every day,
|   not just when an email pops up in their
|   inbox or when something happens in
|   Washington.
`----

http://www.stormyscorner.com/2010/02/what-free-and-open-source-software-projects-can-learn-from-social-networking-and-fundraising.html

Recent:

Ubuntu 9.10 and GNOME 2.28: Advancing Past Meh

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6976/1/