[News] A Look at the Cutting-edge Fedora 13 Features

  • Subject: [News] A Look at the Cutting-edge Fedora 13 Features
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:16:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Fedora 13 Features Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| Goddard is the codename for the latest
| version of the bleeding edge Linux
| distribution, Fedora 13. Eve before the
| release of Fedora 12 there were new feature
| plans for Fedora 13. New features continue
| to be added to the feature plans of Fedora
| 13 scheduled for a planned release on May
| 11, 2010. The Fedora 13 feature list
| includes a number of features that didn't
| make it in time for Fedora 12. The feature
| list includes NFSv4 protocol by default,
| support for mounting NFS servers over IPv6,
| and yum language package plug-in. It's
| almost time for Fedora 13 feature freeze
| and we hardly expect any new last minute
| additions. With most accepted Fedora 13
| features highlighted on Fedora Project Wiki
| we decided to provide a comprehensive
| preview of the Linux distribution.
|
| [...]
|
| Fedora 13 would offer enhanced support for
| DisplayPort in X and kernel drivers for
| NVIDIA hardware. DisplayPort offers a
| higher link bandwidth than dual-link DVI.
| Monitors can easily take advantage of this
| by providing higher resolutions, higher
| color depths, and higher refresh rates. The
| DisplayPort will also run at a lower
| voltage than DVI and LVDS, and uses lesser
| power. The future laptops will likely
| switch to embedded DisplayPort for the
| local panel for this reason. With this
| feature, Fedora users can take advantage of
| the the technical superiority of
| DisplayPort.
`----

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/fedora-13-features-preview/

Recent:

A newbie's guide to Fedora 12

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometimes it's easy to forget that we all had
| to start somewhere with Linux. When you're not
| used to the way it works, or the kind of
| concepts involved, Linux can seem like a
| foreign language. If you're struggling with
| free software, or if you know someone who needs
| help making the switch to Linux, we hope this
| feature will help.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/newbies-guide-fedora-12

Fedora vs. Ubuntu: Is Either Better?

,----[ Quote ]
| The truth is, given the mature state of the
| free desktop and each distro's undoubted wish
| to match the features of rivals, it is
| becoming increasingly harder to find features
| that make one stand out from the other. There
| are still significant differences in desktops.
| But when distributions use the same desktop,
| the way that Fedora and Ubuntu do, then the
| differences are likely to be unnoticeable to
| three out of four users. These days, you are
| even unlikely to find any differences in speed
| or stability unless you have some unusual
| hardware configuration.
|
| That may be an unsatisfying answer to those
| who like to pick a side and defend it. But
| look at it this way: the lack of a clear
| victor shows the general sophistication of
| free software today. Now, in most cases, you
| don't have to choose between major
| distributions -- no matter what your choice,
| it is likely to be a reasonable.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3862556/Fedora-vs-Ubuntu-Is-Either-Better.htm

Ubuntu User on Fedora 12: Using It and Liking It

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxcanuck.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/fedora-12-using-it-and-liking-it/