[News] MAFIAA Plagiarises Legalised Bribery Professionals ("Lobbyists")

  • Subject: [News] MAFIAA Plagiarises Legalised Bribery Professionals ("Lobbyists")
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:28:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Canadian thinktank withdraws copyright "research" that plagiarised US lobbyists, publishes new balanced recommendations

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conference Board of Canada is a
| respected think-tank -- or it was, until it
| was discovered that it had cooked its
| research in a report on Canadian copyright
| that had been funded by copyright industry
| bodies (they discarded the empirical
| research that suggested there was no
| problem and instead plagiarised a lobbying
| document produced by its sponsors and
| presented it as "research").
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/10/canadian-thinktank-w.html

Kevin Smith May Try Crowdfunding Horror Film, Red State, After Fans Offer To Do So

,----[ Quote ]
| We've already pointed out how
| director/writer/filmmaker/entertainer Kevin
| Smith is a great example of a filmmaker
| embracing the model of connecting with fans
| and giving them a reason to buy, even to
| the point of saying that unauthorized file
| sharing is just a way to get more fans he
| can "convert." Apparently, he may take
| things to another level, by following a
| crowdfunding effort similar to what we've
| seen with some musicians and authors.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100208/0319478078.shtml

European Court Of Justice Reviews P2P Filtering Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In a landmark case the music copyright
| group SABAM has been chasing a local
| Internet provider in court, trying to force
| the company to filter P2P traffic, thus far
| without result. The Brussels Court of
| Appeal has now referred the case to the
| European Court Of Justice where it will be
| thoroughly examined once again.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/european-court-of-justice-reviews-p2p-filtering-case-100209/

Pirate Movie Privacy Case Set For The Supreme Court

,----[ Quote ]
| Should copyright holders be allowed to get
| the identities of Internet users behind an
| IP-address for private prosecutions, or
| should that ability be left solely with the
| police? Thatâs the key question behind a
| pivotal hit movie camcorder case which is
| set to move amid an unusual amount of
| secrecy to Norwayâs Supreme Court.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-movie-privacy-case-set-for-the-supreme-court-100208/

Variable download pricing correlated with slower music sales

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been about a year since the music
| labels got what they had been asking for
| from the major online music stores: tiered
| music pricing. Problem is, that system may
| not be working out as well as the labels
| had hopedâWarner Music Group has reported
| slowed digital music growth since the
| pricing changes, and even though the
| company tried to spin the news as positive,
| it acknowledged that the timing may not
| have been the best.
|
| Warner's digital sales (and by "digital,"
| it means online sales, not CDs) made up 20
| percent of its total revenue in its quarter
| ending on December 31, 2009âflat
| sequentially from the previous quarter.
| Unit growth in "digital track equivalent
| albums" saw a five percent growth rate
| during the December quarter, though it's
| down from 10 percent in the September
| quarter and 11 percent earlier in the year.
| Digital revenues were up eight percent year
| over year, compared to 20 percent the year
| prior.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2010/02/variable-download-pricing-correlated-with-slower-music-sales.ars

Warner retreats from free music streaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Record label Warner Music has said it will
| stop licensing its songs to free music
| streaming services.
|
| Companies like Spotify, We7 and Last.fm
| give free, legal and instant access to
| millions of songs, funded by adverts.

Did The Recording Industry Really Miss The Opportunity To 'Monetize' Online Music?

,----[ Quote ]