[News] Microsoft Takes Drug Dealers' Approach to Fight Dominance of GNU/Linux in Big Computing

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Takes Drug Dealers' Approach to Fight Dominance of GNU/Linux in Big Computing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:41:39 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's Sulphurous Cloud Computing Offer

,----[ Quote ]
| So, basically, you sell your digital soul by
| using Windows instead of GNU/Linux and get
| three years' cloud computing in return: I
| don't think even Faust would have gone for
| that one.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/02/microsofts-sulphurous-cloud-computing.html

Recent:

Linux rulz: Top500 says so

,----[ Quote ]
| Todayâs release of the list of the top 500
| supercomputers shows that well over 90% are
| running Linux.  Also, IBMâs Roadrunner has
| finally been dethroned; in a big way!
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29362&Itemid=53

Linux dominates top 500 supercomputer list

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest Top 500 Supercomputer list is
| now out (see my colleague Andy Patrizio's
| story on InternetNews.com), with the top
| rig doubling its performance to 1.75
| petaflops.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/11/linux-dominates-top-500-superc.html

Jaguar supercomputer races past Roadrunner in Top500

,----[ Quote ]
| The most popular operating system is Linux,
| with 90 percent of the Top500.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10397627-92.html

China joins supercomputer elite

,----[ Quote ]
| The IBM computer is owned by the Department
| of Energy's Los Alamos National Laboratory
| in New Mexico and was the first machine to
| push through the petaflop barrier.
|
| It is currently able to run at 1.042 petaflops and uses the powerful
| "cell" chip designed for the PlayStation 3.

PelicanHPC GNU Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/PelicanHPC/