[News] ASUS Chooses GNU/Linux for Sub-notebooks Again (with ARM)

  • Subject: [News] ASUS Chooses GNU/Linux for Sub-notebooks Again (with ARM)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:00:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Asustek Wants to Become Another Apple with Open-Source Platforms.

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking at an event dedicated to spinning-
| off Pegatron Technologies from Asustek,
| Jonney Shih, chairman of Asus, reiterated
| the companyâs long-term plan to become
| âanother Appleâ, but to adopt open-source
| or popular platforms instead of proprietary
| software, including ARM and Google
| Chrome/Android combinations as well as
| Intel and Windows to suit consumer demand,
| reports DigiTimes web-site.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20100210225901_Asustek_Wants_to_Become_Another_Apple_with_Open_Source_Platforms.html

It's Not The Hokey Cokey; OpenOffice BACK In Ubuntu Netbook Edition After User Outcry

,----[ Quote ]
| The first reversal earlier this week that
| saw AbiWord and GNUMeric step in as
| replacements. Now the decision has been
| fully reversed: OpenOffice WILL be
| installed by default in Ubuntu Netbook
| Edition.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/openoffice-back-in-ubuntu-netbook.html

Recent:

ARM: More than 1.3 billion served in Q4 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM Holdings announced that more than 1.3
| billion chips based on its designs were sold
| during the fourth quarter of 2009. Reporting
| better-than-expected financial results, the
| company added that it's signing up licensees
| for three new designs, code-named "Eagle,"
| "Heron," and "Merlin."
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ARM-Q4-2009-financial-results-and-forthcoming-processors/

ARM Unveils New Designs as It Looks to Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM Holdings, the UK company that makes a
| core CPU design that licensees can modify
| into their own designs for handheld devices,
| plans to launch three more Cortex processor
| cores during 2010 as it pursues new markets.
`----

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/news/article.php/3863211

ARM boss forecasts mass migration to netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM CEO Warren East believes that netbooks
| will come to dominate the PC market - and it
| won't be that long before it happens.
|
| "Although netbooks are small today â maybe ten
| per cent of the PC market at most â we believe
| over the next several years that could
| completely change around and that could be 90
| per cent of the PC market," PC Pro says he
| says.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/02/04/arm_netbook_shift/

ARM: our netbooks will fly with or without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM chief executive Warren East has claimed
| that netbooks could swallow 90% of the PC
| market, in an exclusive interview with PC Pro.
|
| The British chip design firm, which is the
| biggest rival to Intel's dominant Atom
| processors in the netbook space, claims the
| low-budget laptops could transform the PC
| market. And East says the chip firm will
| succeed "with our without" Windows support for
| its processors.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/355246/arm-our-netbooks-will-fly-with-or-without-windows

ARM processors to overtake Intel in mobile devices by 2013?

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve seen many similar reports that talk of
| Linux overtaking Windows for UMDs in a broadly
| similar timeframe. One thingâs for sure
| smartbooks and the like are here to stay.
`----

http://www.netbookchoice.com/2010/01/22/arm-processors-to-overtake-intel-in-mobile-devices-by-2013/

ARM Seen as a Threat to Intel on the Mobile Front

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ARM-Seen-as-a-Threat-to-Intel-on-the-Mobile-Front-132924.shtml