[News] Australia and the United States Embrace More Web Censorship (the China Model)

  • Subject: [News] Australia and the United States Embrace More Web Censorship (the China Model)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:33:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hackers attack AU websites to protest censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| A band of cyber-attackers have taken down
| the Australian Parliament House website and
| hacked Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's website
| in coordinated protests against government
| plans to filter the Internet.
`----

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20100210/hackers-attack-au-websites-protest-censorship.htm

Censorship of the internet- is China really that guilty?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is it true that a bill was tabled before
| congress that sought to give the US
| president absolute power to take over the
| internet? Why does the US ban access to
| sites, and not just any sites but open
| source application sites to citizens of
| other countries? Why does Google do same
| with their code hosting service Google
| Code? I find it very funny and ironic when
| the kettle tells the pot how black it
| looks!
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/02/censorship-of-internet-is-china-really.html

The Pirate Bay blocked in Italy, a second time

,----[ Quote ]
| After first being blocked in 2008, an
| Italian court has once again ruled that
| ISPs in the nation must block access to the
| infamous torrent tracker The Pirate Bay,
| leaving millions of users without access to
| one of the most popular sites on the
| planet.
`----

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/21579.cfm

Google censors Youtube nasties

,----[ Quote ]
| Launched yesterday, Youtube's safety mode
| will allow users with Google or Youtube
| accounts to only view content that's deemed
| to be wholesome and abides by Youtube's
| Community Guidelines. Of course the problem
| with this is that you will have to trust
| that the filtering system is up-to-date
| with the latest content.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1591577/google-censors-youtube-nasties

Google shuts down music blogs without warning

,----[ Quote ]
| Bloggers told they have violated terms
| without further explanation, as years of
| archives are wiped off the internet
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/feb/11/google-deletes-music-blogs

Google's Latest Music Blog Kerfuffle Highlights Problems With The DMCA

,----[ Quote ]
| You may recall that almost exactly a year
| ago there were all sorts of reports of
| music blogs using Google's Blogger service
| finding their blog posts silently
| disappearing. The issue, it turned out, was
| the way Google dealt with DMCA takedown
| notices from copyright holders. The way the
| DMCA is set up, in order to avoid
| liability, Google is put in an awkward
| position of having to take the content
| down.

Verizon Blocks 4chan

,----[ Quote ]
| According to 4chan's Twitter account and
| status update blog, they have been
| "explicitly blocked" by the Verizon
| wireless network.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/verizon_blocks_4chan.php

YouTube Advertises Presence Of New Iran Protest Clips

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Iranian authorities enacted a
| ban on Gmail, saying they'd introduce a
| government-sponsored (and presumably
| government-monitored) email service to
| replace it.  Now, as YouTube's seeing an
| influx of protest videos, Google's taken a
| moment to mark the Iranian government's
| lack of control.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/02/11/youtube-advertises-presence-of-new-iran-protest-clips

"There are no dissidents in China."

,----[ Quote ]
| That's a direct quote from China's Ministry
| of Foreign Affairs spokesman.
|
| Ma Zhaoxu was asked earlier today about a
| Beijing court upholding an 11 year jail
| term for Liu Xiaobo, one of China's most
| high-profile activists.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/11/there-are-no-disside.html

Recent:

Westerners need self-reflection before criticizing China

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2010/02/06/westerners-before-criticizing-china-some-self-reflections-are-needed/