[News] Debian Conference Coming, Two Derivatives Also (Mepis, Parsix)

  • Subject: [News] Debian Conference Coming, Two Derivatives Also (Mepis, Parsix)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 02:31:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Registration now open for DebConf10

http://blog.debconf.org/blog/2010/02/04#jk_dc10regannounce

Simply Mepis 8.5 beta4 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite being a self-confessed distro-
| hopper, I have dwelled for a long time with
| Sidux. As a hardcore KDE fan, the obvious
| choice was to test Simply Mepis 8.5 beta 4.
| I carry a high opinion about Simply Mepis
| since I have used it some 5 years ago. It
| was a perfect desktop and the reason for my
| liking towards KDE. Later I have hopped to
| Kubuntu, Debian testing and finally to
| Sidux.
`----

http://linuxexperimentation.blogspot.com/2010/02/simply-mepis-85-beta4-mini-review_12.html

Parsix 3.0r2 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Parsix is a Linux distribution based on
| Kanotix and Debian. It is purely a desktop-
| focused distribution. The last major release
| was Parsix 3.0r0 (aka Kev). This review is of
| Parsix 3.0r2, the second update release of
| Kev.
`----

http://linuxbsdos.com/2010/02/12/parsix-3-0-r-2-review/

Recent:

Debian 6.0 Squeeze behind schedule

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian release team are sounding the
| alarm: With only one month left before the
| planned release freeze, the number of
| critical bugs in Debian 6.0 Squeeze is still
| far too high to freeze development and create
| the next stable version of Debian. As a
| result, it has become unlikely that Squeeze
| will be released this summer as scheduled.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Debian-6-0-Squeeze-behind-schedule-925778.html

Ultimate-Debian-LiveCD-i686 Final

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimate-Debian-LiveCD-i686 features more
| apps, rescue, etc, and also features more
| browsers than any LiveCD ever!
`----

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Ultimate-Debian-LiveCD-i686-54010.shtml

Why debian rocks

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been quite some time, actually
| years, since I started using Debian.
| Earlier I have used various flavors of
| Linux like SuSE, Red Hat, RHEL, Fedora,
| Ubuntoo but my experience with Debian has
| been so far the best. I just thought to
| write the reasons for which I really like
| Debian compared to other systems.
|
| [...]
|
| Debian is available for a variety of
| architectures and platforms, which further
| increases the user base as well as the
| support base. Ports of debian exist for
| most common architectures like ARM, MIPS,
| PPC, x86, x86_64 etc. There are variety of
| GNU/Linux distribution which are Debian
| based, most notable of them is Ubuntoo,
| which further increases the support and
| user base.