[News] Government of Czech Republic Increasingly Moving Towards Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Government of Czech Republic Increasingly Moving Towards Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 03:02:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CZ: Open source to fix mandatory e-government's service

,----[ Quote ]
| At least three open source projects in the
| Czech Republic are working to allow platform
| independent access to the government's
| electronic message service. The mandatory
| service, called 'Datove schranky' (Data
| boxes) is currently only accessible on
| computers running Microsoft's proprietary
| operating system.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/cz-open-source-to-fix-mandatory-e-governments-service

Recent:

Czech Presidency recommends you to buy Microsoft Word

,----[ Quote ]
| The Czech Presidency recommends you to buy Microsoft Word, Excel and
| Powerpoint in other to read what they are publishing.
|
| [...]
|
| No need to say that Microsoft is an official sponsor of the Czech
| Presidency...
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-135891/czech-presidency-recommends-you-to-buy-microsoft-word

et Another Draft EU Community Patent Regulation

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite all odds, the present Czech EU Presidency has prepared another patent
| policy Document 8588/09 titled "Revised proposal for a Council Regulation on
| the Community patent". It conveys a revised Presidency proposal for a Council
| Regulation on the Community patent, based on recent discussions in the
| Working Party on Intellectual Property (Patents). Changes to the previous
| version of the proposal (Document 9465/08) are underlined. The Working Party
| will be invited to have a first exchange of views on this Working document at
| its meeting on 22 April 2009.
`----

http://www.ipjur.com/blog2/index.php?/archives/58-Yet-Another-Draft-EU-Community-Patent-Regulation.html

Patent change in Europe is unlikely if business leaders remain silent

,----[ Quote ]
| With all that that in mind, Topolanek claimed that he was confident that the
| Czech Presidency of the EU had enabled progress which could now be built on
| by the Swedes, who assume the presidency at the end of June. It all sounded
| very impressive, I have to say - a national leader talking eloquently about
| the importance of patents to Europe's future. Who'd have thought it? Then he
| was asked to explain what the Czechs had done in concrete terms to take
| things forward. He paused for a very brief moment before saying: "I do not
| know, this is not my area." He then got up and left.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=c0689451-ebd7-4a1c-bb57-95a0c3699eec

Microsoft Launches OnMyWay

,----[ Quote ]