[News] CIOs Increasingly Choose Free/Libre Software, Outlook Positive

  • Subject: [News] CIOs Increasingly Choose Free/Libre Software, Outlook Positive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:03:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CIOs Jumping On The Free Software Bandwagon

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, we've heard claims that, for all the
| wonders of "free software," the "real" CIO
| would never use free software, as they would
| need to have a clear monetary relationship with
| the provider to ensure things wouldn't go bad.
| Of course, that's pretty silly. Lots of IT
| departments have made use of all sorts of free
| software such as Linux and Apache, but a new
| study suggests that CIOs are quite comfortable
| with using free software, finding that "76% of
| CIOs surveyed say they use free software at the
| enterprise level and 88% said they have free
| software deployed at the department level."
`----

http://techdirt.com/blog/itinnovation/articles/20100210/0119258108.shtml

What Is the Outlook for Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Phipps continued, adding that, "Ultimately, the
| choice between packaged, sealed-edge, closed
| software and open source software, is the
| choice between viewing your IT as a cost center
| or a competitive weapon. Companies that see IT
| as a competitive weapon have tended to pick
| UNIX and the Java platform among other
| technologies, because it leaves them in control
| of their IT architecture."
`----

http://sun.systemnews.com/articles/143/3/FOSS/22733

Recent:

CIOs can avoid costly database price increases with open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio.co.uk/article/3207908/cios-can-avoid-costly-database-price-increases-with-open-source/