[News] More Free/Libre Office Suites from IBM and Oracle Put the Pressure on Microsoft's Stumbling Office (Real Profits Down)

  • Subject: [News] More Free/Libre Office Suites from IBM and Oracle Put the Pressure on Microsoft's Stumbling Office (Real Profits Down)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:09:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OpenOffice 3.2 - now with less Microsoft envy

,----[ Quote ]
| If Oracle can provide a first-rate connect-
| anywhere, edit-anywhere online office suite,
| it might have finally found something that
| can break Microsoft's stronghold on business
| productivity tools.
|
| That's what I'd be looking for in follow on
| versions to OpenOffice 3.2.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/13/openoffice_review/

OpenOffice.org 3.2: 10 Years in the Making

,----[ Quote ]
| If you look back on the history of
| OpenOffice.org, it makes the 3.2 release
| that came out on Thursday the 11th even more
| impressive. Nearly 10 years in the making,
| OpenOffice.org has evolved from a clunky
| proprietary offering that struggled to
| import Microsoft Office documents to a
| productivity powerhouse that is faster,
| supports a fully open document format (ODF)
| and handles most proprietary formats with
| grace.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/openoffice-org-3-2-10-years-in-the-making

Q&A: IBM's Alistair Rennie on the big picture for Lotus

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM is taking Lotus Symphony, a suite built
| on OpenOffice.org, to the Mac platform and
| recently launched a next-gen beta for the
| office suite.
|
| âCustomers are looking for options and
| choice,â said Rennie. They are looking for
| options to bring employees and people
| together and edit, write and change
| documents in an open standards based way.â
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=30672

Recent:

penOffice.org vs. Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| How does OpenOffice.org (OOo) compare with
| Microsoft Office (MSO)? The question is harder
| to answer than you might expect. Few users
| have the experience or patience to do a
| thorough comparison. Too often, they miss
| features that have different names or are in
| different positions in the editing window. Or,
| perhaps they overlook the fact that some
| features, although missing in one, easily can
| be added through customization. Yet another
| problem when comparing something to MSO is
| which of the eight current versions of MSO do
| you use for the comparison?
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/openofficeorg-vs-microsoft-office

Open Office 3.2: Faster, More Office Compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3864796/Open-Office-32-Faster-More-Office-Compatibility.htm