[News] Ideas of Business Model for Mozilla Thunderbird

  • Subject: [News] Ideas of Business Model for Mozilla Thunderbird
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:12 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Making Thunderbird Financially Sustainable: How it Could Work

,----[ Quote ]
| As Mozilla Messaging looks to monetize its
| services, the project should think strongly
| about providing a top-to-bottom solution. Not
| just connecting with other services, but
| providing the mail hosting and services that
| users want. Mozilla Messaging and Status.net
| (which provides the popular Identi.ca
| microblogging service) seem like natural
| allies, for example. I'm not entirely sure what
| a successful model would look like â but merely
| providing a client or add-on for existing
| services doesn't seem the surest path to
| success. And I do want to see Mozilla succeed
| here, for a couple of reasons.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/making-thunderbird-financially-sustainable-how-it-could-work

Recent:

Mozilla Thunderbird 3 review

,----[ Quote ]
| While it offers advanced features that enable
| greater fine-tuning of settings than Mail,
| Thunderbird's biggest selling point is its
| expandability. It supports hundreds of
| extensions including calendars, antispam,
| themes and encryption. Thunderbird can also run
| off a USB stick.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/utilities/other-software/mozilla-thunderbird-3-668499/review

Mozilla releases Thunderbird 3.1 Alpha 1

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the developers, one of the main
| goals for the Thunderbird 3.1 Alpha 1 release
| is "to find out about possible problems caused
| by the changes in the underlying platform".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Mozilla-releases-Thunderbird-3-1-Alpha-1-924163.html

Mozilla Messaging building nest for Thunderbird 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Messaging has published a proposed
| schedule for Thunderbird 3.1, the next
| release of the popular e-mail client. The
| organization is refining its development
| process and could potentially shift
| towards shorter release cycles and a more
| incremental approach to development.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/12/mozilla-messaging-building-nest-for-thunderbird-31.ars

Mozilla Developer Preview (Gecko 1.9.3a1) available for download

,----[ Quote ]
| A Mozilla Developer Preview of improvements
| in the Gecko layout engine is now available
| for download.  This is a pre-release
| version of the Gecko 1.9.3 platform, which
| forms the core of rich Internet
| applications such as Firefox. Please note
| that this release is intended for
| developers and testers only. As always, we
| appreciate any feedback you may have and
| encourage users to help us by filing bugs.
`----

https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2010/02/10/mozilla-developer-preview-gecko-1-9-3a1-available-for-download/

Thunderbird in 2010

,----[ Quote ]