[News] Server with GNU/Linux: Boost from SGI, IBM, Many Others

  • Subject: [News] Server with GNU/Linux: Boost from SGI, IBM, Many Others
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 00:59:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SGI Cyclone Offers HPC in the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| SGI says Cyclone is backed by the
| industryâs fastest supercomputing hardware
| architectures, including SGI Altix scale-
| up, Altix ICE scale-out and Altix XE hybrid
| clusters, all based on Intel Xeon or
| Itanium processors. Customers can also
| choose between Novell SUSE or Red Hat
| Linux, with further performance offered by
| SGI ProPack. Altair PBS Professional and
| SGI ISLE Cluster Manager provide system
| scheduling and management.
`----

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/02/15/sgi-cyclone-offers-hpc-in-the-cloud/

IBM Unveils Clustered NAS Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM (NYSE: IBM) today unveiled its entry in
| the growing market for clustered network-
| attached storage (NAS) systems.
`----

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storagenetworking/article.php/3864521

Virtual Appliances Offer Fast Sandboxes, Production Environments

,----[ Quote ]
| It did not take me too long to find the
| first offering that met my needs: TurnKey
| Linux has, among several other free virtual
| appliance offerings, a full Joomla!
| instance running on top of a LAMP stack.
| Everything is put together for you: the
| Joomla! configuration, the PHPMyAdmin
| front-end, Postfix MTA configuration, and
| Apache, PHP, and MySQL modules for Webmin.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/96666/virtual-appliances-offer-fast-sandboxes-production-environments

Recent:

SGI spins up Cyclone HPC cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Cyclone is not restricted to running the 16
| applications mentioned above in a software-as-
| a-service (SaaS) manner (with others coming
| out shortly), but can also be used as raw
| computing to run homegrown code or any other
| Linux applications that HPC shops have a
| license to run (known as IaaS in the cloud
| lingo).
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/02/11/sgi_cyclone_hpc_cloud/

Making big ones out of small ones: SGI