[News] GNU/Linux Leads List of Top Operating Systems for Sub-notebooks

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Leads List of Top Operating Systems for Sub-notebooks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 01:29:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Five Best Netbook Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud is the most distinctly netbook-
| oriented operating system in this Hive
| Five. It's not just pretty good on a
| netbookâit was actually designed from the
| ground up to be a netbook operating system,
| so it's a great fit. (For the curious, it's
| a combination of Debian and Fedora Linux
| with WINE mixed in to support Windows-only
| apps.) Jolicloud has been tweaked and tuned
| to make it shine even on systems with low
| resources and small displays. The emphasis
| is not on a traditional computing
| experience but on harnessing web-based
| applications and storage services so that
| much of the heavy lifting and deep-storage
| of the netbook is transferred from the
| netbook to more powerful and larger
| servers. The application launcherâsee in
| the screenshot hereâmakes it easy to
| organize and select your applications. The
| launcher emphasizes easy to read and
| identify text and logos, and all
| applications launch in full-screen mode by
| default. In addition to the default
| applications, you can browse the app
| directory to find new applicationsâthe
| Jolicloud team curates the list to ensure
| compatibility.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5471394/five-best-netbook-operating-systems

HP jumps into smartbook market with announcement of AirLife

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of Windows or Linux, the AirLife
| uses the same operating system and device
| drivers as many smartphones, Google
| Android. The AirLife's screen will measure
| 10.1 inches, be touch-sensitive, and be
| able to display images at a resolution of
| 1024 x 600 pixels. The keyboard will be 92
| percent as large as a standard-size, and
| will include a touch pad.
`----

http://www.drivershq.com/News/OEM/HP-jumps-into-smartbook-market-with-announcement-of-AirLife/104/476.aspx

Recent:

ARM: our netbooks will fly with or without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM chief executive Warren East has claimed
| that netbooks could swallow 90% of the PC
| market, in an exclusive interview with PC Pro.
|
| The British chip design firm, which is the
| biggest rival to Intel's dominant Atom
| processors in the netbook space, claims the
| low-budget laptops could transform the PC
| market. And East says the chip firm will
| succeed "with our without" Windows support for
| its processors.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/355246/arm-our-netbooks-will-fly-with-or-without-windows

ARM processors to overtake Intel in mobile devices by 2013?

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve seen many similar reports that talk of
| Linux overtaking Windows for UMDs in a broadly
| similar timeframe. One thingâs for sure
| smartbooks and the like are here to stay.
`----

http://www.netbookchoice.com/2010/01/22/arm-processors-to-overtake-intel-in-mobile-devices-by-2013/

ARM Seen as a Threat to Intel on the Mobile Front

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ARM-Seen-as-a-Threat-to-Intel-on-the-Mobile-Front-132924.shtml