[News] Linux-powered Pogoplug in Review

DaniWeb Review: Pogoplug - Your Own Personal Pink Linux Data Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| What's small and pink, incorporates a Linux
| kernel and an embedded ARM compatible
| processor, and let's you set up your own
| personal cloud? The answer is the latest
| Pogoplug device from Cloud Engines Inc. Combine
| this insanely easy to set up bit of kit with a
| free iPhone app and you have a secure
| environment for privately viewing and sharing
| content anywhere on the Internet - and all
| without changing your network configuration,
| firewall settings or fiddling with anything
| more complicated than plugging a box into your
| router, a USB drive or four into the box and
| activating it all through a web browser
| interface.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/reviews/review260663.html

Recent:

Open Source Hardware Hacking with the PogoPlug

,----[ Quote ]
| Brad Dietrich, is the CTO and co-founder of
| Cloud Engines, Inc.  Brad graduated from
| Carnegie Mellon University with a Bachlors of
| Science in Electrical and Computer
| Engineering, and in Computer Science. He also
| is a published author and a contributor to
| several open source projects.
`----

http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale8x/blog/open-source-hardware-hacking-pogoplug

Pogoplug

,----[ Quote ]
| In steps the Pogoplug a device that allows you
| to connect multiple hard drives to the
| Internet to allow you to store and share files
| from. Your own "personal cloud" as the box
| shouts.
`----

http://m.pocket-lint.com/reviews/review_summary.phtml/4607

More on the TonidoPlug - the geeky stuff

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs important to remember as well that the
| plug is, at its core, a Ubuntu box. Any Ubuntu
| software that you want to install that can be
| accessed by command line or a web interface
| (e.g., backup, clustering, load balancing,
| FTP, etc.) can be installed from an SSH
| session.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=3620

Second generation Pogoplug adds more USB ports

,----[ Quote ]
| The second generation Pogoplug now features
| four USB ports. Cloud Engines has released the
| second generation of its popular Pogoplug
| "plug-top computer". The Pogoplug unit is a
| small Linux computer running an ARM compatible
| processor that lets users connect and share
| USB drives over the Internet via its built-in
| Gigabit Ethernet connection. Supported drive
| formats include NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, Ext2 and
| Ext3. Once connected and set up, drives and
| files can be accessed and shared from any web
| connection.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Second-generation-Pogoplug-adds-more-USB-ports-865533.html

Low-cost NAS gains USB ports, social net sync

,----[ Quote ]
| Cloud Engines has released a new version of
| its Linux-based Pogoplug networked-attached
| storage (NAS) device, which uses the Marvell
| SheevaPlug reference design. The Pogoplug is
| larger and costs $30 more, but moves from one
| USB port to four, and adds new
| synchronization, multimedia sharing, and
| social networking integration features.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Pogoplug-new-version/?kc=rss

USB Devices Offer Easy Remote Access

,----[ Quote ]
| If all you're looking for is access to your data while you're on the road,
| you can't do much better than the $100 Pogoplug. The small (4 x 2.5 x
| 2-inch), white Pogoplug box is actually a mini file server that uses Linux
| software to allow remote connections, dole out files and save material
| remotely. It plugs into your network router and works with a variety of USB
| storage devices, such as external hard drives or USB keys.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165939/usb_devices_offer_easy_remote_access.html

Pogoplug Ready To Go Open Source, But Only If It Dies

,----[ Quote ]
| Startup Pogoplug is well aware of this and has prepared an answer that many
| will like: if for some reason, Pogoplug was to go away, the source code of
| its back-end services would be uploaded on SourceForge, allowing others to
| keep it running. It's not 100% guaranteed that someone would, but that's
| about as close as you can get to certainty in this situation. Of course, this
| is just a worst case scenario.
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/05/pogoplug_ready_to_go_open_source_but_only_if_it_dies.html

How Pogoplug Works