[News] OLPC Gets Boost from Telstra

Big corporates add muscle to One Laptop Per Child

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commonwealth Bankâs chief information
| officer will visit Darwin tomorrow for meetings
| with Aboriginal elders to garner additional
| support for the One Laptop Per Child programme
| in advance of the roll out of the next version
| of the machine and Telstraâs official
| sponsorship of the programme starting next
| month.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/36880-big-corporates-add-muscle-to-one-laptop-per-child

Using XS School Server Could Send You to Jail

,----[ Quote ]
| It breaks my heart and makes me sick to have to
| address this. But it needs to be addressed.
| Bitfrost is extremely secure. However, no
| amount of security can protect kids from
| themselves. Or teachers and admins from
| children's actions in the USA school system.
|
| 99.999% of the time, XOs are used for innocuous
| pursuits. What bothers me in the extreme are
| the ramifications of that other potential
| 0.001% or whatever infinitesimal number. Now
| this is the sort of thing that I do not want to
| even think about, let alone write about. But it
| only takes a single incident to ruin lives.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/hardware/school_servers/xs_school_server_jail.html

Related:

Major Aussie ISP Telstra BigPond shafts open source OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/2007/12/18/major-aussie-isp-telstra-bigpond-shafts-open-source-openoffice/