[News] Interview About Open Access and New Milestone for Budapest Open Access Initiative

  • Subject: [News] Interview About Open Access and New Milestone for Budapest Open Access Initiative
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 02:45:23 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The OA Interviews: Sciyo's Aleksandar Lazinica

,----[ Quote ]
| In their efforts to derail the onward march of
| Open Access (OA) opponents have conjured up a
| number of bogeymen about Open Access
| publishing. First, they maintain, asking
| authors to pay to publish could turn scholarly
| publishing into a vanity press. Second, they
| say, OA publishing will in any case inevitably
| lead to lax or even non-existent peer review.
| Third, they argue, OA publishing is not
| financially sustainable. I felt the breath of
| all three bogeymen on the back of my neck
| recently, as I conducted an email interview
| with the CEO of OA publisher Sciyo, Aleksandar
| Lazinica â an interview that led the Open
| Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA)
| to ask Sciyo to remove OASPA's logo from its
| web site.
|
| At the heart of the criticism deployed against
| OA publishing is the claim that levying an
| article processing charge (APC) on authors will
| inevitably corrupt the age-old process of
| scholarly publishing, and the independent peer
| review system on which it is based.
`----

http://poynder.blogspot.com/2010/02/oa-interviews-sciyo-aleksandar-lazinica.html

The BOAI is eight

,----[ Quote ]
| Happy birthday to the Budapest Open Access
| Initiative, which is eight years old today.
`----

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2010/02/boai-is-eight.html

Recent:

Don't restrict the flow of technical knowledge

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tmworld.com/blog/Rowe_s_and_Columns/30177-Don_t_restrict_the_flow_of_technical_knowledge.php