[News] Intellectual Monopolies Setbacks: Copyrights Sob Stories

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Setbacks: Copyrights Sob Stories
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 03:01:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Management Secrets of the Grateful Dead

,----[ Quote ]
| ODDLY ENOUGH, THE Dead's influence on the
| business world may turn out to be a
| significant part of its legacy. Without
| intending to--while intending, in fact, to
| do just the opposite--the band pioneered
| ideas and practices that were subsequently
| embraced by corporate America. One was to
| focus intensely on its most loyal fans. It
| established a telephone hotline to alert
| them to its touring schedule ahead of any
| public announcement, reserved for them some
| of the best seats in the house, and capped
| the price of tickets, which the band
| distributed through its own mail-order
| house. If you lived in New York and wanted
| to see a show in Seattle, you didn't have to
| travel there to get tickets--and you could
| get really good tickets, without even
| camping out. "The Dead were masters of
| creating and delivering superior customer
| value," Barry Barnes, a business professor
| at the H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business
| and Entrepreneurship at Nova Southeastern
| University, in Florida, told me. Treating
| customers well may sound like common sense.
| But it represented a break from the top-down
| ethos of many organizations in the 1960s and
| '70s. Only in the 1980s, faced with
| competition from Japan, did American CEOs
| and management theorists widely adopt a
| customer-first orientation.
`----

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/201003/grateful-dead-archives

My Take on the NY Times Pay Wall

,----[ Quote ]
| The main problem of this approach is that
| over the years of free access, the New York
| Times has trained its readers for years that
| the right price (or the Anchor) is $0 -- and
| since this is the starting point it is very
| hard to change it....
|
| Because we're not very good at figuring out
| what we are willing to pay for different
| products and services, the initial prices
| that new products are presented with can
| have a long term effect on how much we are
| willing to pay for them. We basically can't
| figure out how much pleasure the New York
| Times gives us in terms of $ -- so we go
| back and pay the same price we have paid
| before. This means that getting people to
| pay for something that was free for a long
| time will be very challenging, but it also
| means that if the New York Times were to
| offer some new service at the same time that
| they start charging, they might be more
| likely to pull it off.
`----

http://www.predictablyirrational.com/?p=739

Franceâs Le Fig Unveils Paid Features, But âNews Will Be Free Foreverâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Another week, and another newspaper opts for
| a paid-content model: French daily Le Figaro
| has now announced price tiers for its
| delayed, previously announced offering,
| which will go live on Mondayâ
|
| But, instead of hoisting up a paywall around
| all its news conent, Le Fig is going for a
| freemium model, charging only for extras
| like newsletters, a digital copy of its
| printed edition, social media features - and
| booking you a dinner table. The new features
| come in three tiers, but spokesperson
| Antoine Daccord tells paidContent:UK: âNews
| will be free forever...â
`----

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-frances-le-fig-unveils-paid-features-but-news-will-be-free-forever/

UK Court Finds That Simply Linking To Infringing Videos Is Not Infringing

,----[ Quote ]
| FACT originally claimed that the site
| "facilitated" copyright infringement on the
| internet, despite that not being a part of
| UK law. Eventually, the official charges
| were "Conspiracy to Defraud and breaches of
| the Copyright Designs and Patents Act,"
| which is quite similar to what OiNK's admin
| was charged with. And just like how OiNK's
| Alan Ellis was found not guilty, the court
| has sided with TV links, noting that it
| didn't actually infringe on anyone's
| copyrights directly. Of course, this still
| took years of having to fight it out in
| court and a ton of resources -- some of
| which were frozen by a "financial
| restraining order" during the case itself.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100212/1549298157.shtml

Digital Britain Minister Insists No One Is Creative If They Don't Earn Money

,----[ Quote ]
| He goes on to suggest that a statement like
| that, so revealing in how Timms views the
| world, should get Timms fired, as he's
| basically admitting that he's only there to
| protect corporate interests, rather than
| actual creativity.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100212/1503318154.shtml

Universal Music Gets A New CEO... Who Thinks CDs Are The Future

,----[ Quote ]
| Yeah, good luck with that. Between you and
| Warner Music opting-out of online streaming
| services, it's as if the major record labels
| are simply trying to accelerate their own
| demise. Have they taken out life insurance
| policies on themselves? In the meantime,
| Vivendi, who's watching over Universal Music
| these days?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100212/1404228153.shtml

Friday frivolity: Beyonce's pirated bikini

,----[ Quote ]
| In what has to be one of the more bizarre
| copyright disputes, the underwear
| manufacturer Triumph sued Sony because
| Beyoncà was wearing copyright infringing
| underwear in her music video "Video Phone".
| Seriously.
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2010/02/friday-frivolity-beyonces-pirated.html

EMI Apparently Forgot Grey Album Disaster; Issues Takedown Of Wu Tang vs. Beatles

,----[ Quote ]
| And here we are today, as EMI/Capitol (who,
| last we saw, was trying to bootstrap a fake
| word of mouth viral campaign, after its
| suits blocked a real viral campaign) is
| fighting to stay alive, as it is massively
| in debt, with little hope of getting out of
| it.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100215/1235058169.shtml

Nina Paley's "All Creative Work is Derivative"

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an amazing animation by Nina Paley,
| "America's Best-Loved Unknown Cartoonist."
| Entitled "All Creative Work Is Derivative"
| (and blogged here on her blog), and
| concluding "All creative work builds on what
| came before," the video is built from images
| of of statues and paintings at the
| Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002601

Draft letter to USTR on copyright extension

,----[ Quote ]
| This brings me to the Anti-Counterfeiting
| Trade Agreement (ACTA). It is an anti-
| democratic outrage, not to have published
| the terms of the draft agreement and
| suggests to the skeptical that the USTR is
| engaged in a shady deal which will not stand
| the light of public disclosure and
| discussion. One must assume that we are
| trying to browbeat our trading partners into
| accepting terms that they are resisting
| rather than examining the pluses and minuses
| of such an agreement for each of the
| concerned parties.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002595

EU Council signals new attacks on the 'Net

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=469&Itemid=9