[News] GNU/Linux Saves Windows from Microsoft's Own Mess

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Saves Windows from Microsoft's Own Mess
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:15:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Using Linux to back out a Windows XP patch

,----[ Quote ]
| As of this writing (Tuesday Feb 16th) there
| don't seem to be any new suggestions from
| Microsoft to assist XP users whose systems
| were rendered un-bootable after installing the
| February 9th patches. For example, the last
| entry on The Microsoft Security Response
| Center blog is four days old.
|
| So let me offer a suggestion:  boot to Linux
| and move some files around.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15595/using_linux_to_back_out_a_windows_xp_patch

Recent:

Linux saves the day ... again

,----[ Quote ]
| What do you do when Windows will not boot and cannot repair itself from the
| installation CD? You fire up a Linux Live CD!
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27176/1141/

Related:

The Disconnect That Could Fail Thousands

,----[ Quote ]
| Knowing that this isn't right, I thumb thru the seventy or so Live CD disks I
| have and grab the one I know that gets this right...but wait. It only trails
| Ubuntu in the Distrowatch lineup by a few hundred hits...what about, oh, I
| don't know...let's try something obscure...let's go down the line a bit.
| Let's see who is well down the list there...It needs to be a debian distro,
| something that doesn't get too much publicity...Oh, let's try this.
|
| DreamLinux.
|
| Upon firing it up and doing an immediate install, imagine my surprise.
|
| Without so much as having to install KdiskFree or any other third party
| disk/file manager, whaddaya know...there are my drives and files. I then
| install KDE since DreamLinux is an Xfce environment by design. Yep, a click
| on the mnt file shows all my drives right there...
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/222-The-Disconnect-That-Could-Fail-Thousands.html

Linux saves the special day!

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks Linux! You saved the day and turned a Windows disaster into a Linux
| win!
`----

http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=node/987

Why I love Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I have Vista and two distros of Linux (Ubuntu, Gentoo) in regular use -- and
| Vista, bless it, brutally murdered its XP predecessor during install, and so
| I had been forced to migrate sooner. And as it happens, the answer as to why
| Vista killed XP all those months ago was answered through this experience.
`----

http://www.apcmag.com/6598/why_i_love_linux

When in doubt, install Linux...

,----[ Quote ]