[News] A Look at Fog Computing in the Context of Free Software

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Fog Computing in the Context of Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:31:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Guide to Amazon Web Services for Corporate IT Managers

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, they are becoming the industry
| standard and their interfaces are or will
| be incorporated into a variety of third
| party providers. One example is Linux
| distro vendor Ubuntu. They have an
| Enterprise Cloud offering that makes use of
| the same AWS programming interfaces, making
| it easier for developers to port their
| cloud applications to a private server
| running Ubuntu inside your corporate data
| center. Another is coming from Racemi,
| which plans on having tools that can import
| VMware virtual machines into and out of AWS
| later this year.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/software/96742/guide-amazon-web-services-corporate-it-managers

Legal experts split over cloud effect on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Cloud Law Summit in London on
| Wednesday last week, Andrew Charlesworth,
| director of the University of Bristol
| centre for IT and law, said the reasons
| some businesses choose open-source software
| â lower cost and lack of vendor lock-in â
| could be eroded by cloud services.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,40043032,00.htm

Is open source still a recruitment tool?

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of its effort to find the best
| employees it can, Twitter has launched a
| directory to the open source projects it
| supports, with cute little icons
| representing the employees working on each
| one.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5888

Twitter Loves Open Source And Launches A Directory To Prove It

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent months, there seems to be a mad
| rush of companies trying to one-up each
| other with how open-source they are.
| Twitter is the latest, as they have
| launched a directory of all the open source
| projects they're currently working on
| and/or contributing to.The list is fairly
| impressive. It includes open source
| projects in Ruby, Scala, Java, C/C++, and
| other various tools.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/16/AR2010021603838.html

Recent:

Red Hat projects to seed cloudy IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's get one thing straight. We don't like
| the term cloud computing any more than you do
|
| Of course, Richard Stallman doesn't like when
| we call it Linux rather than GNU/Linux. He's
| gotta live with Linux. And, well, we've gotta
| live with cloud computing. It's not going
| away.
|
| Commercial Linux and middleware distributor
| Red Hat is, like other platform providers,
| trying to get money from IT departments that
| buy software. But Red Hat can't say that. For
| one, the company can't sell software because
| that violates open source licensing, and two,
| it's too boring to just come out and say that.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/11/redhat_cloud_forum_projects/

Red Hat Ramps Up Open Source Cloud Projects

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/3864436/

The people's cloud

,----[ Quote ]

`----