[News] MINIX and BSD/UNIX/Solaris in the News

  • Subject: [News] MINIX and BSD/UNIX/Solaris in the News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:46:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Video: Andrew Tanenbaum on Bugs and Minix' Reincarnation Server

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Pro Magazine met the author of
| numerous standard works in informatics and
| the most famous Linux critic at the Fosdem
| in Brussels.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Video-Andrew-Tanenbaum-on-Bugs-and-Minix-Reincarnation-Server

OpenSource Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| For most of us, thinking of the University
| of California Berkley doesn't bring about
| images of nerdy software engineers, but
| instead makes us think more of LSD,
| hippies, the children's revolt, and
| Vietnam... Despite all of that, they are a
| prominent uni, and they did create Berkley
| Unix. While BSDs are usually source
| compatible with AIX, HPUX, and Linux there
| are also two API layers available, Linux
| and WINE. Currently, there are four main
| flavors: OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Darwin.
| OpenBSD is focused on security, FreeBSD is
| focused on being general purpose, and
| NetBSD is focused on running everywhere
| (really... everywhere like toasters,
| palmtop computers, servers, mainframes...
| you name it, NetBSD runs on it). The
| Berkley Software Distribution has long been
| considered one of the most stable, secure,
| and efficient platforms available.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/02/opensource-operating-systems.html

An Embedded Web Server on the Head of a Pin

,----[ Quote ]
| The Unison Operating System offers an ultra
| tiny embedded POSIX environment for 32 bit
| microcontroller (MCU) based development
| that is also Linux compatible.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/an-embedded-web-server-on-the-head-of-a-pin-84498617.html

Open Source embedded operating system Contiki updated to 2.4

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSD licensed operating system is
| designed to be small, highly portable and
| work in networked, but memory constrained
| systems, such as sensor network nodes.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Open-Source-embedded-operating-system-Contiki-updated-to-2-4-932026.html

MilaX 0.5: OpenSolaris as Live-CD

,----[ Quote ]
| MilaX, a Live distribution of OpenSolaris,
| is available in version 0.5 with new
| software.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/MilaX-0.5-OpenSolaris-as-Live-CD

Recent:

Distribution Release: MINIX 3.1.6

http://www.linux.com/distrocentral/distronews/285073:distribution-release-minix-316

CA brings SOA security to open source JBoss

,----[ Quote ]
| CA has announced its SiteMinder and SOA
| Security Manager products are now available
| for the open source JBoss middleware
| platform.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/335564/ca_brings_soa_security_open_source_jboss?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Minix on the iPod: where Linux started

http://berenguel.blogspot.com/2010/01/minix-on-ipod-where-linux-started.html

Microkernels Address the OS Softspots on Your Network

,----[ Quote ]
| Right now Tanenbaum can point to Minix 3 -- the latest version of Minix. This
| has a microkernel of just 5,000 lines of code running in kernel mode -- less
| than 0.1% of the size of the Windows kernel. Device drivers run above the
| kernel in user mode, each one running as a separate process and restricted to
| accessing only its own memory. He points out that with just 5,000 lines of
| code there may be fewer than 100 bugs in the kernel, which could slowly be
| found and eliminated. In fact there could be far fewer: he says drivers
| typically have between 3 and 7 times as many bugs per 1,000 lines of code as
| the rest of the system. By removing the drivers from kernel space the most
| buggy kernel code is removed.
|
| Tanenbaum is currently embarking on a project to produce a stable and secure
| operating system based on a similar microkernel architecture, which he
| intends to design with a POSIX interface (perhaps extended with Linux system
| calls) so that it will run UNIX (and Linux) software "without too much
| effort." (An alternative approach is to run a hypervisor in kernel mode,
| emulating a virtual machine running its own OS in user mode. But as operating
| systems are often paravirtualized to run in these virtual machines, and the
| hypervisor is adapted with an extensive API to provide services to the
| virtual machines, the distinction between a hypervisor and a microkernel
| becomes blurred, he says.)
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/_featured/article.php/3825296/

EU funds research on lightweight, stable open-source OS

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Research Council has granted â2.5 million (around US$3.3
| million) to a Dutch university for its research on a "more reliable and
| secure" Unix-type operating system. The research team seeks to top todayÂs
| popular operating systems in the market, such as Windows and Linux,
| particularly in security features.
`----

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/102389

Europe Funds Secure Operating System Research

,----[ Quote ]
| A Dutch university has landed a European Research Council grant to continue
| work on a Unix-type operating system that aims to be more reliable and secure
| than Linux or Microsoft Windows.
|
| The â2.5 million (US$3.3 million) grant will fund three researchers and two
| programmers, said Andrew S. Tanenbaum, a computer science professor at Vrije
| Universiteit in the Netherlands.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163890/europe_funds_secure_operating_system_research.html
http://tinyurl.com/cp9kj6

Andrew Tanenbaum presents Minix 3 at FrOSCon

,----[ Quote ]
| Tanenbaum became known in the 1980s with Minix, an operating system he
| designed for educational purposes. Unlike the original Minix, which was
| intended only to demonstrate the principles behind operating systems, Minix 3
| has been designed to be a productive and useful system.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/114885

[1992:] LINUX is obsolete

,----[ Quote ]
| Don`t get me wrong, I am not unhappy with LINUX.  It will get all the people
| who want to turn MINIX in BSD UNIX off my back.  But in all honesty, I would
| suggest that people who want a **MODERN** "free" OS look around for a
| microkernel-based, portable OS, like maybe GNU or something like that.
`----

http://www.educ.umu.se/~bjorn/mhonarc-files/obsolete/msg00000.html

MINIX 3 and Sound Card Buzz!

,----[ Quote ]
| MINIX has been around for a while now, and to all of those who think that
| Linux is better, just remember this: MINIX is older than Linux! In fact,
| Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux) used MINIX as inspiration and a guide
| when writing Linux.
|
| If you are interested in MINIX, and don't feel like dual-booting or
| getting rid of your current operating system, MINIX can be run on a
| virtual machine. See http://www.minix3.org/doc/faq.html#simulators for
| more details!
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2008/07/minix_3_and_sou.html

Related:

DIY CPU demo'd running Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Buzbee offered the first public demonstration of the Minix OS -- a
| cousin of Linux -- running on his homebrew minicomputer, today at the Vintage
| Computer Festival in Mountain View, Calif. Magic-1, built with 74-series TTL
| ICs using wire-wrap construction, implements a homebrew, 8086-like ISA.

Interview with Dr Andrew S Tanenbaum

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew S Tanenbaum: A couple of years ago this guy called Ken Brown
| wrote a book saying that Linus stole Linux from me, from Minix,
| and therefore the intellectual property rights are unclear and
| therefore companies shouldn't use Linux because I might sue them.
|
| It later came out that Microsoft had paid him to do this --
| and I defended Linus. I wrote on my Web site saying that this
| guy Brown came through, visited me and I gave him the
| [correct] story.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy/architecture/soa/Interview_with_Dr_Andrew_S_Tanenbaum/0,339028264,339273224,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/3c78xz

Debian GNU/Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally someone has seen the light and started a project that I called for in
| a previous article. This melding of the Minix kernel with the GNU userland is
| called Preventa, and seems to poke fun at the name Nexenta, a similar project
| using the Solaris kernel, all in good fun Iâm sure, considering that the
| project leaderâs blog is called âLa Salle Debainâ (a play on âDebianâ and the
| French for âbathroomâ).
`----

http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/debian-gnuminix/

Minix 3.1.3

,----[ Quote ]
| This isn't Ubuntu Linux, or even Linux at all, and it shows. That's
| not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to know what you're
| getting into.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/minix313.htm

Release Notes of MINIX 3.1.3 - Developer's Interim Release

,----[ Quote ]
| MINIX 3.1.3 was released friday, april 13th 2007. It is not a full-quality,
| stable release but a work-in-progress interim release.
`----

http://www.minix3.org/download/releasenotes-3.1.3.html

Review of Minix 3.1.2a IDE build2

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been some controversy regarding the intertwined histories
| of Linux and Minix. It's true that Linus Torvalds used Minix and the
| first versions of Linux required a Minix system to boot from.
|
| [...]
|
| The overall feel of Minix is super lightweight and fast. It reminds
| me of older Unix systems with the behaviour of some of the
| system tools.
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/review_of_minix_3.1.2a_ide_build2.html

MINIX: what is it, and why is it still relevant?

,----[ Quote ]
| MINIX, as originated by Andy Tanenbaum, is an operating system that
| has its roots and heart in academia as a tool that teaches you how
| kernels really should work. Recently, however, with the advent of
| version three of this rock solid OS, the focus is on making a
| production ripe embedded distribution.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/minix

Comparing Linux and Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| The UnixBench results (raw results: Minix, Linux) paint a rather
| different picture. These results are summarized in the plot to the
| left; the upper bar for each test represents Linux. The measured
| system call overhead for Minix is a full ten times higher than
| the value for Linux. The file copy tests ran between two and ten
| times faster on Linux. Pipe throughput differed by a factor of
| seven; Minix was 140 times slower at process creation. The
| difference in shell script execution performance, however, was
| 1.4 - in Minix's favor. One assumes that the rather simple shell
| provided by Minix is, at least, faster than bash.
`----

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/220255/2031d5ff96d848d5/

Tanenbaum outlines his vision for a grandma-proof OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Software today is blighted by being too bloated, says Andrew Tanenbaum
|
| [...]
|
| "Maybe the direction Linux could go would be [as] the system that is
| ultra reliable, that works all the time and has not got all the
| problems that you get in Windows," he suggested.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1942598204;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

Andrew Tanenbaum: Operating systems' Mr Reliable

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id%3b925218285%3bfp%3b16%3bfpid%3b1