[News] Net Neutrality Guide and FUD

Net Neutrality: A simple guide

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's recently announced plan to set up
| trial fiber optic networks in the US with
| ultra-high speed Internet connections puts
| the long running national debate over Net
| Neutrality back into high gear.
|
| A hot topic of discussion and debate in
| government and telecom circles since at
| least 2003, Net Neutrality, actually
| involves a broad array of topics,
| technologies and players
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/in-depth/index.cfm?articleid=3028

Net Throttling Hasn't Stopped

,----[ Quote ]
| Canadian Internet service providers fall
| short on net neutrality rules, testing
| CRTC's patience.
`----

http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2010/02/16/GeistThrottlingUpdate/

Ridiculous Arguments: Net Neutrality Would Mean No iPhones

,----[ Quote ]
| I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
| I'm very much against enforcing net
| neutrality through legislation (too many
| unintended consequences) but I'm stunned at
| the ridiculous and totally bogus reasons
| given by those fighting against those
| regulations in support of their claims. The
| latest on this front is Stephen Titch, a
| policy analyst at the Reason Foundation (a
| group whose work I usually think is quite
| good), coming out with a policy brief
| making the ludicrous argument that network
| neutrality would mean no more iPhones.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100216/0412108180.shtml

Recent:

Parties Lobby FCC on Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
| RIAA / MPAA
|
| The Recording Industry Association of
| America and the Motion Picture Association
| of America have an established love-hate
| relationship with the Internet. Perhaps
| more hate-hate. The recording and motion
| picture industries are still struggling to
| find their footing and adapt to a world
| where MP3's replaced CD's, and where
| streaming movies are replacing DVD's.
|
| Dating back to the early days of Napster,
| the RIAA and MPAA have lobbied for
| legislation and leveraged the court system
| to combat online piracy. In its filing on
| net neutrality with the FCC, the RIAA wrote
| "we encourage the FCC to stay its course
| and explicitly support, encourage, and
| endorse ISP efforts to fight piracy."
|
| EFF
|
| On the opposite end of the spectrum, the
| EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is
| urging individuals to join its petition to
| convince the FCC to remove language from
| the proposed net neutrality guidelines
| which provide a legal loophole for the
| entertainment industry to "hijack the
| Internet."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/bizfeed/187003/parties_lobby_fcc_on_net_neutrality.html?tk=rss_news

RIAA tells FCC: ISPs need to be copyright cops

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Federal Communications Commission
| should avoid adopting strict net neutrality
| rules that would limit broadband providers'
| flexibly to "address" illegal online file
| sharing, the Recording Industry Association
| of America said in comments filed with the
| FCC on Thursday.
|
| Internet service providers should have
| authority to block subscribers from sharing
| music and other files without permission of
| the copyright owner, the RIAA said. "ISPs
| are in a unique position to limit online
| theft," the RIAA said in its comments.
| "They control the facilities over which
| infringement takes place and are singularly
| positioned to address it at the source.
| Without ISP participation, it is extremely
| difficult to develop an effective
| prevention approach."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9145198/RIAA_tells_FCC_ISPs_need_to_be_copyright_cops

Secret copyright treaty debated in DC: must-see video

,----[ Quote ]
| Two recurring points that Metalitz raised
| were that the secrecy in the treaty was a
| requirement of foreign negotiating
| partners, and the US's hands were tied; and
| that the treaty wouldn't require any of the
| "advanced" nations to change their law (he
| repeated the oft-heard unfounded slur that
| Canada is a rogue nation when it comes to
| copyright law).
|
| Both of these points are simply wrong. The
| country demanding that ACTA be kept secret
| is the good old US of A, whose strategy for
| this is being driven by former
| entertainment industry lawyers who have
| found new homes as senior officials in the
| Obama government (the Democrats are
| terrible on copyright, sadly -- we can
| thank Bill Clinton for the Digital
| Millennium Copyright Act). These lawyers
| are Metalitz's old pals, his colleagues in
| the decades he's spent winning special
| privileges and public subsidy for his rich
| clients.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/15/secret-copyright-tre-2.html

RIAA: Net neutrality shouldn't inhibit antipiracy

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10435388-261.html