[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Finds New Revenue Models

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Finds New Revenue Models
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:29:27 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu Linux is not suitable for you if...

,----[ Quote ]
| This write up is a response to the 14th
| comment on a post I made on Jan 28. I
| thought my reply should actually be shared
| with you in case you are also thinking along
| the same lines like him (or her??). I am
| actually going to assume that Mr. Anonymous
| is using Ubuntu but actually needs a check
| list to evaluate whether it is the right OS
| for him and if Open Source in general is
| good for him. So here goes
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/02/ubuntu-linux-is-not-suitable-for-you-if.html

Ubuntu One Music Store Pushed In Rhythmbox

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the features that was talked about
| and proposed a few months back was a music
| store for Ubuntu where one could easily
| purchase music and somewhat fits in with
| Canonical's plans for the Ubuntu Software
| Store (or the "Ubuntu Software Center" as
| it's now called). Plans were laid out for an
| Ubuntu One Music Store and the first
| packages to support this in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
| are now available.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk5Ng

Rhythmbox + Last.fm

,----[ Quote ]
| I havenât used Rhythmboxâs Last.fm to
| scrobble lately because it doesnât let me
| âloveâ a song. Well, that is until I found
| this particular Last.fm plugin for Rhythmbox
| called âNew Style Last.fm Scrobblerâ thanks
| to Juergen Kreileder. In Amarok, itâs pretty
| much seamless. Thereâs a heart I could just
| click while the song is playing so I could
| mark it as a loved track.
`----

http://www.everyjoe.com/newlinuxuser/rhythmbox-last-fm/

Ubuntu Switches to Yahoo! Search â Kinda

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs been a lot of noise recently in the
| Ubuntu community about the announcement that
| Canonical is planning to switch the default
| search engine and home page in Firefox to
| Yahoo! Search. People are tweeting about it,
| podcasting about it, and generally getting
| worked up.  Some think that itâs the end of
| the world (or an MS takeover of Canonical),
| some could care less.
`----

http://www.starryhope.com/linux/ubuntu/2010/ubuntu-switches-to-yahoo-search-kinda/

Recent:

Ubuntu One Music Store: A Real Business?

,----[ Quote ]
| Where will the music come from? A new
| online music store? Or some existing store?
| My best guess â and this is purely a guess
| â is some sort of connection to the Amazon
| MP3 music store, since Shuttleworth briefly
| mentioned Amazon during the Ubuntu 9.10
| launch phone call with media. Also, Amazon
| in April 2008 released an MP3 downloader
| program for Linux, including support for
| Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/16/ubuntu-one-music-store-a-real-business/

Ubuntu One Music Store

,----[ Quote ]
| For those who donât know, the Lucid UDS has
| begun today.
|
| One of the most interesting yet controversial
| meetings is this: the Ubuntu One Music Store.
| What it will be is currently left to the
| imagination since no specification has
| apparently have been drafted yet. Selling
| music online has always been a controversial
| topic, and that adds interest in such a
| feature.
`----

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/ubuntu-one-music-store/