[News] GNU/Linux Encourages Culture of Constructive Creativity

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Encourages Culture of Constructive Creativity
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 02:14:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

We're All Makers

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortunately, nobody is making us fall under
| the spell of fancier, shinier, ever-more-
| closed toys, and we still have a wealth of
| great choices open to us. Like Linux and
| Free/Open Source Software, for starters. All
| you need is a PC, an Internet connection, some
| time, and the creative possibilities are
| legion.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/10-things-you-should-know-Linux-security

Which Linux For Non-Techie Windows Users?

,----[ Quote ]
| obarthelemy writes "Having at last gotten
| Linux to run satisfactorily on my own PCs, I'd
| now like to start transitioning friends and
| family from XP to Linux instead of Windows 7.
| The catch is that these guys don't understand
| or care much about computers, so the
| transition has to be as seamless and painless
| as possible. Actually, they won't care for new
| things; even the upcoming upgrade to Windows 7
| would be a pain and a bother, which is a great
| opportunity for Linux. I'm not too concerned
| about software (most of them only need
| browser, IM, VLC, mail and a Powerpoint viewer
| for all those fascinating attachments). What
| I'm concerned about is OS look-and-feel and
| interface â system bar on the bottom with
| clock, trash, info on the right, menu on the
| left, menu items similar to those of Windows.
| Is it better to shoot for a very targeted
| distro? Which would you recommend? Are there
| themes/skins for mainstream distributions
| instead? I've been looking around the web, and
| it's hard to gauge which distros are well-done
| and reasonably active."
`----

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/02/20/1653232/Which-Linux-For-Non-Techie-Windows-Users

[Sarcasm] Linux frustrates!

,----[ Quote ]
| I have heard of my geeky friends talking about
| this Linux stuff. I wasn't sure what it was so
| I asked them about it. Honestly, I thought
| they were trying to sell me some religion the
| way they jumped all over me trying to explain
| what Linux is. They did make some very good
| points though. I have always felt
| uncomfortable with using a pirated version of
| windows but I can't justify the expense of
| buying an original version. I am also tired of
| all the problems I have been having because of
| virus and spyware infestations. These Linux
| guys tell me that they don't have any problems
| with that stuff.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/linux-frustrates-37036

Recent:

Canonical and Creative Commons Meet Donations Target

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/11/09/canonical-and-creative-commons-meet-donations-target/