[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Gets Leaner, Faster, Energy Efficient (ARM)

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Gets Leaner, Faster, Energy Efficient (ARM)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 02:53:03 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu Netbook Remix enlightens ARM support

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical is developing a 2D ARM interface
| based on Enlightenment Foundation Libraries
| for the upcoming Ubuntu 10.04 ("Lucid Lynx")
| version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix. In other
| Ubuntu news, Ubuntu Live CDs in Lucid Lynx
| will boot 33 percent faster, and The Linux Box
| will market Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Optimizes its OS for ARM CPUs

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ubuntu_optimizes_its_os_arm_cpus

Ubuntu live CDs now boot 33% faster!

,----[ Quote ]
| How to convince a Mac OS X or Windows user to
| try GNU/Linux? Installing the desired
| distribution in a Virtual Machine? Read them
| all those FAQs about partitioning your hard
| drive for a dual-boot system? No, no - there's
| an easier way: live CDs or DVDs! Almost every
| distribution (like Ubuntu, Knoppix or Fedora)
| are capable of booting into a fully functional
| desktop right from a burned disc. Simply
| download the .iso image file, burn it to a CD
| or DVD with your favorite disc burning
| application, and reboot your machine!
|
| [...]
|
| According to Bennett, tweaks to the debconf
| database have boosted the live CD startup time
| nearly 33%!
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/02/18/ubuntu-live-cds-now-boot-33-faster/

Ubuntu 10.04 May Backport More Kernel DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| The decision to stick with the Linux 2.6.32
| kernel rather than the soon to be released
| Linux 2.6.33 kernel for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS that
| will be released in April is leading to a few
| more headaches for those involved with packing
| X.Org and the graphics components for the
| Lucid Lynx release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk5Nw

Recent:

10 Days of Ubuntu 10.10 Feature Requests

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tannerhelland.com/ubuntu-linux/10-ubuntu-10-10-features/