[News] More Fog Computing with Free Software and Ubuntu GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] More Fog Computing with Free Software and Ubuntu GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 03:24:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open sourcers fortify Ubuntu's Koala food

,----[ Quote ]
| With Eucalyptus - the open source platform
| that put the Koala in Ubuntu's Karmic Koala -
| you can mimic Amazon's so-called
| infrastructure cloud inside your very own data
| center. At least up to a point.
|
| At the moment, Eucalyptus duplicates the APIs
| for Amazon's three primary Web Services:
| Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Simple Storage
| Service (S3), and Elastic Block Store (EBS).
| But it's yet to provide things like elastic
| load balancing or an Amazon-esque browser
| front-end - something that lets users tap your
| so-called private cloud through a reasonably
| intuitive GUI.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/19/scalr_and_eucalyptus_and_amazon_ec2/

Eucalyptus Completes Amazon Web Services Specs with Latest Release

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eucalyptus Project has reached a major
| milestone this week with the 1.6.2 release.
| While it mostly consists of minor improvements
| for performance and stability, the point
| release also marks the implementation of
| Amazon's EC2 and S3 specifications. Your
| private cloud is now ready!
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/eucalyptus-completes-amazon-web-services-specs-with-latest-release

Carnegie Mellon joins Open Cirrus, continues to grow cloud research expertise

,----[ Quote ]
| Carnegie Mellon Universityâs School of
| Computer Science announced this week that it
| is has joined the Open Cirrus project, adding
| one of its clusters to resources available on
| the open-source test bed for cloud computing
| research.
`----

http://insidehpc.com/2010/02/19/carnegie-mellon-joins-open-cirrus-continues-to-grow-cloud-research-expertise/

Recent:

Red Hat projects to seed cloudy IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's get one thing straight. We don't like
| the term cloud computing any more than you do
|
| Of course, Richard Stallman doesn't like when
| we call it Linux rather than GNU/Linux. He's
| gotta live with Linux. And, well, we've gotta
| live with cloud computing. It's not going
| away.
|
| Commercial Linux and middleware distributor
| Red Hat is, like other platform providers,
| trying to get money from IT departments that
| buy software. But Red Hat can't say that. For
| one, the company can't sell software because
| that violates open source licensing, and two,
| it's too boring to just come out and say that.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/11/redhat_cloud_forum_projects/

Red Hat Ramps Up Open Source Cloud Projects

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/3864436/