[News] [Rival] Microsoft Coughs Up Money After "Consumer Fraud Class Action Lawsuit"

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Coughs Up Money After "Consumer Fraud Class Action Lawsuit"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:05:57 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Keller Rohrback L.L.P. and DeRoon & Seyfer Announce Settlement Disbursement in Antitrust Matter Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Budget-beleaguered Arizona state and local
| government entities are getting a little help
| this week as payments from the settlement in
| Daisy Mountain Fire District v. Microsoft
| Corp., No.07-2851 (D. Md.) begin to roll in. A
| total of $4,415,258 in cash has been
| distributed pursuant to the settlement
| agreement approved by the Court. Daisy
| Mountain Fire District, represented by
| antitrust experts at the law firms of Keller
| Rohrback L.L.P. (Seattle and Phoenix) and
| DeRoon & Seyfer, took the lead in bringing
| antitrust claims against Microsoft on behalf
| of a class consisting of all Arizona
| governmental entities that indirectly licensed
| Microsoft Operating System software and/or
| Microsoft Application software between May 18,
| 1994 and December 31, 2008 (the "Class").
|
| The complaint alleged violations of the
| Arizona Antitrust Act and with the leadership
| of Class counsel, Daisy Mountain Fire District
| pursued Microsoft regarding its engagement in
| anticompetitive and monopolistic practices.
| The cash settlement benefits will be
| distributed among the Class for the purchase
| of new computer programs and equipment.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/keller-rohrback-llp-and-deroon-seyfer-announce-settlement-disbursement-in-antitrust-matter-against-microsoft-2010-02-10?reflink=MW_news_stmp

School District of Mauston cashes in on Microsoft settlement, stimulus funds

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mauston School District will benefit
| substantially from the federal American
| Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), also
| called the stimulus package, and the Wisconsin
| Microsoft Settlement allocations.
|
| At the Monday evening regular school board
| meeting held at the district office, Steven
| Smolek, superintendent of schools, said the
| ARRA and the antitrust settlement brought
| millions of dollars to Wisconsin.
|
| [...]
|
| Rob Demeuse, technology and phone systems
| director, highlighted some of the uses for the
| $255,072 coming to the district from the
| settlement from a Microsoft antitrust and
| consumer fraud class action lawsuit.
`----

http://www.wiscnews.com/jcs/news/470945

WALLACE v. MICROSOFT CORPORATION

http://www.leagle.com/unsecure/page.htm?shortname=infco20100218110

Related:

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| â or, maybe weâll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoftâs pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoftâs
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/more_evidence_microsoft_tying_up_the_asus_eeepc

EXCLUSIVE: ASUS Speaks on the EEE PC

,----[ Quote ]
| TechTree: States like Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka promote the Linux
| operating system in its education and government sectors. Will ASUS roll out
| Linux alternatives for the new 904HD and 1000H models in India?
|
| Benson Lin: Currently, we're closely tied up with Microsoft and the EEE PC
| with Windows XP would be available to the Indian market.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/EXCLUSIVE_ASUS_Speaks_on_the_EEE_PC/551-91486-581.html

Linux on Netbooks: The Smoking Gun

,----[ Quote ]