[News] A Look at Checkinstall and Console File Management Applications for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Checkinstall and Console File Management Applications for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:23:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Better Linux Package Management with Checkinstall

,----[ Quote ]
| If you use Linux in any depth, youâre
| eventually have to install a program from
| source code. Normally the process is pretty
| quick and painless, but it still has some
| drawbacks, especially when it comes to
| upgrading or uninstalling that program. To
| help resolve this, weâve got checkinstall,
| a useful tool that adds some cleverness to
| the process by keeping track of file
| changes and generating binary packages from
| your tarballs. With checkinstall, you can
| generate a RPM, deb, or Slackware package
| that can be ported between systems for easy
| install and removal.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/better-linux-package-management-with-checkinstall/2010/02/23

3 Linux Console File Managers You Should Try: Midnight Commander (MC), Last File Manager (LFM) And VIFM

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU Midnight Commander (MC), Vifm and Last
| File Manager (Lfm) are 3 visual file
| manager applications for the Linux console.
| All of these 3 applications will remind you
| of Norton Commander - with the main
| interface consisting of two panels which
| display the file system -, but each has
| something special. Read about these 3 great
| console file managers for Linux and let us
| know your favourite in the comments!
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/02/3-linux-console-file-managers-you.html

Recent: