[News] How to Make Money from Free Software and Proof That It Works

  • Subject: [News] How to Make Money from Free Software and Proof That It Works
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:38:53 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source 101: Paying for Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Though most Linux binaries are indeed free,
| there are a few out there that do come at a
| cost. Like, for instance, Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux. But, if I wanted to, I am more than
| able to go out and download the source RPMs
| and compile the code myself to make a full-
| blown instance of RHEL.
|
| Even though I have the skill set to do this,
| the question then becomes, why would I? My
| time is worth way more then the fee Red Hat
| charges for putting this all together, so
| even if it hits my wallet right up front,
| it's well worth it in the long run.
|
| This is the core advantage of open source
| software for most users like me: it's not
| that we can get the source code ourselves,
| but rather that other people with more time
| on their hands (and ideally a paycheck to do
| it) can take the code and make it into a
| form we can use.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/97740/open-source-101-paying-free-software

Thinking about open source: There are three types of software

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me break down software into three
| categories:
|
|    1. Open source software, where every
|    single byte of the programming source
|    code is covered by some license
|    sanctioned by the Open Source Initiative
|    (OSI).
|    2. Proprietary software, where none of
|    the code making up the whole is covered
|    by an OSI-sanctioned license or is
|    otherwise made available for free reuse
|    and distribution.
|    3. Hybrid software, where some of the
|    code is covered by an open source licence
|    and some of it is not.
|
| Whoa!, you might say, it is ethically and
| ideologically wrong to do anything but #1!
|
| Whoa!, you might say, capitalists abhor
| âfreeâ when it comes to anything they are
| trying to sell, so #2 wins!
|
| Whoa!, you might say, youâre allowed to mix
| open source and non-open source code to
| create software, as in #3?
`----

http://www.sutor.com/c/2010/02/three-types-of-software/

Open Source vs. the White Supremacists

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source connection is indirect, but
| essential---Facebook is built on open source
| technologies, and the Internet itself is one
| of the biggest open source success stories
| of all: open software, and open standards
| and protocols.
|
| [...]
|
| Once again I give my heartfelt thanks to all
| the great Linux and FOSS people who made all
| this possible. It's making a big difference
| to my little community.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2010/02/open-source-in.html

Recent:

When using open source makes you an enemy of the state

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/feb/23/opensource-intellectual-property