[News] FSF Opposes Public Domain Strategies, Intellectual Monopolies Run Rampant

  • Subject: [News] FSF Opposes Public Domain Strategies, Intellectual Monopolies Run Rampant
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:55:48 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why I Will Not Sign the Public Domain Manifesto  Why I Will Not Sign the Public Domain Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]
| It would be difficult to stand aside from a
| campaign for the right goals merely because
| it was written with unclear words. However,
| the manifesto falls far short in its
| specific goals too. It is not that I oppose
| them. Any one of its demands, individually,
| would be a step forward, even though the
| wording of some of them discourages me from
| signing my name to them.
|
| Rather the problem is that it fails to ask
| for the most important points. I cannot say,
| "This manifesto is what I stand for." I
| cannot say, "I support what's in this
| manifesto," unless I can add, equally
| visibly, "But it fails to mention the most
| important points of all."
|
| [...]
|
| I ask the authors of the Public Domain
| Manifesto, and the public, to please join me
| in demanding the freedom to noncommercially
| share copies of all published works.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/public-domain-manifesto

Second Life Tries To Backpedal On the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| GigsVT writes "The Second Life viewer has been
| available under the GPL for three years.
| Linden Lab, the maker of Second Life, recently
| released a 'third party viewer' policy that
| all but erases the freedoms granted under the
| GPL. It includes such draconian measures as
| 'You agree to update or delete at our request
| any data that you have received from Second
| Life or our servers and systems using a Third-
| Party Viewer,' 'You must not mask IP or MAC
| addresses' (reported to the server), 'you must
| have a published privacy policy explaining
| your practices regarding user data,' and 'You
| acknowledge and agree that we may require you
| to stop using or distributing a Third-Party
| Viewer for accessing Second Life if we
| determine that there is a violation.'"
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/02/24/014209/Second-Life-Tries-To-Backpedal-On-the-GPL

Administration Asks For Public Input On Intellectual Property Enforcement

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of the mis-named ProIP act, the
| newly created IP Enforcement Coordinator
| (generally called the IP Czar) is supposed
| to help figure out what an effective
| "intellectual property enforcement strategy"
| would be. While we have questions about why
| this position or this plan is really needed
| in the first place, here's a bit of good
| news: rather than just doing the typical
| consult with industry lobbyists, the
| administration is, again, asking for public
| comment...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100223/1115298271.shtml

Watch Lawrence Lessig on copyright, fair use etc: live on video

,----[ Quote ]
| Video streaming software company Flumotion
| and the Open Video Alliance will stream live
| on the net a speech on copyright, fair use,
| politics and online video being delivered on
| Friday morning (Australian Eastern time) by
| Lawrence Lessig at the Harvard Law School.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/37157-watch-lawrence-lessig-on-copyright-fair-use-etc-live-on-video

Criminalise Exotic Pets, not File Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| But of course, since we're talking about
| mere ecosystems here, not something sacred
| like intellectual monopolies, it's pretty
| low on governments's priorities....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/02/criminalise-exotic-pets-not-file.html

Consumers 'confused by copyright'

,----[ Quote ]
| The current state of the law means that it
| is illegal for somebody to copy a CD or DVD
| onto a computer or an Ipod for their own
| use. This copying to a different device is
| known as format shifting.
|
| In a poll of 2,026 people, some 73% said
| that they did not know what they could copy
| or record.

New Zealand Introduces File-Sharing Amendment Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| Following widespread objections, New
| Zealandâs Section92A âguilty upon
| accusationâ anti-piracy law was scrapped
| last year. Today, The Copyright (Infringing
| File Sharing) Amendment Bill will be
| introduced, which repeals Section 92A and
| replaces it with a âthree-noticeâ regime,
| backed up by $15,000 fines and 6 month
| Internet suspensions.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/new-zealand-introduces-file-sharing-amendment-bill-100223/

New Zealand tries again with anti-piracy copyright laws

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Government has tabled in
| Parliament its second attempt at amending
| its copyright laws to counter illegal
| downloading.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/it-policy-news/regulation/37118-new-zealand-tries-again-with-anti-piracy-copyright-laws