[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Brushes Up Its Image, New Alpha Release, Benchmarked

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Brushes Up Its Image, New Alpha Release, Benchmarked
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:48:39 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu goin' gray, like the Mac OS way?

,----[ Quote ]
| A source from inside the Ubuntu team has
| informed a blogger that there will be an
| important announcement coming from
| Canonical regarding a possible rebranding
| of Ubuntu. A lot of enthusiasts are quick
| to speculate that the changes will be all
| about the color schemes used by Ubuntu and
| that it may go from brown to gray.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2010/02/ubuntu-goin-gray-like-mac-os-way.html

Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 3 Released - What's new?

,----[ Quote ]
| The third and final Alpha of the Lucid
| development cycle has been released this
| evening - but what can you expect to find
| inside?
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/ubuntu-1004-alpha-3-released-later.html

An Update On The Boot & Power Performance In Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| In December we wrote that Ubuntu 10.04
| already shortened the boot time, which has
| been a great focus amongst Canonical and
| Ubuntu developers as they strive for a ten
| second boot. A lot has changed since that
| article was published last year, including
| the introduction of Plymouth and many
| kernel mode-setting improvements along with
| the introduction of Nouveau for NVIDIA KMS
| support. We've ran a new boot performance
| comparison on two laptops and a netbook as
| we see how the boot times are looking with
| Ubuntu 10.04 LTS when compared to Ubuntu
| 9.10. We have also looked at how the power
| consumption has changed in the Lucid Lynx
| for these mobile devices.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_lucid_boot2&num=1

Recent:

Lucid Gets New Icons For Rhythmbox, UbuntuOne, MeMenu, More!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/humanity-icon-theme-gets-changes-for.html

Ubuntu single sign on service launched

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce the launch of
| the brand new Ubuntu single sign on
| service.  The goal of this service is to
| provide a single, central login service for
| all Ubuntu-related sites, thus making it
| more convenient for Ubuntu users and
| community members to access information,
| communicate, and contribute.  This service
| will replace the existing Launchpad login
| service that is currently in use for many
| Ubuntu-related sites, although existing
| Launchpad accounts will continue to work in
| the new service.
`----

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=330

Autonomic Resources Approved to Offer Canonicalâs Ubuntu Linux and Landscape Through GSA Advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| Autonomic Resources, an IT and service
| integration firm serving the U.S. federal
| government, announced today that the General
| Services Administration (GSA) has approved the
| company to offer Canonicalâs Ubuntu and
| Landscape to government customers.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/autonomic-resources-approved-to-offer,1166519.shtml

Second Lucid Lynx alpha said to offer 15-second start-ups

,----[ Quote ]
| The second alpha of Ubuntu 10.06 boasts 15-
| second boot-time, says an industry report.
| Meanwhile, the Ubuntu project posted a
| controversial survey about which proprietary
| apps might be considered for inclusion with
| the distro, and Canonical announced a
| support plan for IBM's Ubuntu/Lotus "Smart
| Work" cloud distribution.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3445113727.html?kc=rss

Updates Coming For Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzkxNA