[News] Intellectual Monopolies Disliked by Some Authors, MAFIAA to Resume Attack on ISP

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Disliked by Some Authors, MAFIAA to Resume Attack on ISP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:30:10 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

About author rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Authors are always very happy when their
| paper is accepted for publication in a
| journal, as this shows that their work was
| deemed important but editors and referees.
| But they also want to make sure that their
| work gets read and does not disappear
| behind a subscription wall. There are
| several steps an author can take here.
`----

http://blog.repec.org/2010/02/17/about-author-rights/

Sexy textbook innovation?

,----[ Quote ]
| But if it takes off, it will benefit the
| student with lower prices--which have been
| a scandal. And it could benefit publishers
| by lowering their costs and get around the
| monopoly power of the patented ebook
| readers. This could also have differential
| impact on small publishers, if the software
| to update material is readily available.
| Authors may even end up liking it.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002627

Men at Work appeal Down Under plagiarism ruling

,----[ Quote ]
| EMI Music has lodged an appeal against the
| ruling that the flute riff in Down Under by
| Oz band Men at Work was plagiarised from
| Lucky Country kids' favourite Kookaburra
| Sits in the Old Gum Tree.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/25/down_under_appeal/

Film industry appeals in iiTrial case

,----[ Quote ]
| AFACT has lodged a last minute appeal
| against a Federal Court judgement earlier
| this month which exonerated ISP iiNet for
| the copyright infringing activities of its
| subscribers.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/168053,film-industry-appeals-in-iitrial-case.aspx

Hollywood lawyers have another go at Aussie ISP

,----[ Quote ]
| Hollywood copyright lawyers are having
| another go at the Aussie ISP iiNet which
| recently won a case brought by the
| Australian Federation against Copyright
| Theft.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/25/iinet_copyright/

Recent:

Authors Take Up The Tiered Support Models Also

,----[ Quote ]
| Another day, another example of content creators embracing the business
| models we've been talking about -- and once again, this one is outside of the
| music industry. Recently we wrote about movie makers picking up on tiered
| funding offerings, similar to what Jill Sobule has done, and now we've got a
| budding author as well.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090828/0159066032.shtml

Writing a book with the help of the Sakai free software community

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/writing_book_help_sakai_free_software_community