[News] GNU/Linux Applications Packager, Best Browsers, and Photography

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Applications Packager, Best Browsers, and Photography
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:15:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Free Trial Download: Build Professional Linux Installers with InstallAnywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux developers, are you tired of building RPM and
| DEB packages that donât install properly? Try InstallAnywhereÂ,
| the Linux and multiplatform installer solution trusted by the
| worldâs top software companies.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7687

Review: Linux Browsers, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been a giant fan of Firefox since it
| emerged on the browser scene and I was able
| to kiss Internet Explorer 6 goodbye.
| Recently, though, I've started to notice
| some cracks appear in the FF facade. For
| the first time, I had a valuable add-on
| (Ghostery) systematically misbehave and
| prevent the program from closing smoothly.
| And I noticed that I was having severe
| slowdowns in Javascript on some websites,
| including one that I use regularly. Doing
| even routine tasks was bringing FF to a
| crawl and making using it unbelievably
| painful. At the same time, I started seeing
| more mention of emerging browsers, as well
| as competitors who had been around â
| sometimes for years â but who for whatever
| reason had never seemed to get much
| traction. Combined with my FF problems, I
| got the itch to start trying out
| alternatives.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_linux_browsers_part_1/

Review: Linux Browsers, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| HV3 started up in about 8 seconds.  YouTube
| displayed but noted that Javascript was off
| or the browser was using an old version of
| Flash.  Similarly, the base elements of the
| Pandora homepage rendered, but not the
| login dialog. CNN rendered fine, although
| multimedia elements were rough.  The
| browser includes a neat debugging tool
| âPolipoâ that provided a log of errors.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_linux_browsers_part_2/

Two Open Source Tools for Photographers

,----[ Quote ]
| digiKam is a truly versatile and powerful
| application for managing and tweaking
| photos, but itâs not the only photographic
| tool around. In fact, there are a few other
| nifty open source utilities that can make
| great additions to your photographic
| toolbox. Here are a couple of such tools
| worth considering.
|
| [...]
|
| Tonido is not a dedicated photographic tool
| per se, but this server solution includes
| the nifty Photos application which lets you
| share your photos with other users easily
| and securely. You might wonder why youâd
| want to use Tonido to share photos when
| there are dozens of Web-based photo sharing
| services out there. For starters, you can
| use Tonido to share photos without
| uploading them to a third-party service.
| This means that you remain in complete
| control of your images. More importantly,
| Tonido lets you share your photos securely
| and only with people you explicitly give
| access to your photo collection.
`----

http://scribblesandsnaps.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/two-open-source-tools-for-photographers/

Miro â Slick open source video player for Linux, Mac and Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/blogs/2010/02/25/miro-slick-open-source-video-player-for-linux-mac-and-windows/