[News] Seattle P-I (Microsoft Booster) Explains Why Free Software is Better

  • Subject: [News] Seattle P-I (Microsoft Booster) Explains Why Free Software is Better
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:36:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Dropbox - a study in what's right with open source, and wrong with windows.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are already several software on the
| market that allow you to reach your home
| computer from work, and do NOT require
| that you install software on your work
| computer. So, I see dropbox as a "why does
| this exist?" question.
|
| In Open Source, this is rarely a problem.
| Software that isn't necessary does not
| gain the volunteers to work on it that it
| would need in order to grow. Software that
| is needed gets thousands of players
| involved. Since nobody gets paid to write
| open source, the driving factor behind it
| is perception of need or usefulness.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.com/theethicist/archives/196040.asp?from=blog_last3

MS and Oracle's big dev tools - who needs 'em?

,----[ Quote ]
| Emacs, Vim, and other editors have basic
| syntax highlighting and code navigation
| for an even broader set of formats despite
| the fact that they lag IDEs in features.
| Though IDEs offer impressive plug-in
| capabilities, traditional script, and
| config files seem easier to learn and use
| and ultimately more flexible.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/28/ides_versus_the_people/

Recent: