[News] Microsoft Continues to Smear Its Competition, IIPA Does Too

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Continues to Smear Its Competition, IIPA Does Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:27:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Get the Facts II: Electric Boogaloo

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in the dark ages of the early 2000s,
| Microsoft ran a misleading FUD campaign
| against Linux under the âGet the Factsâ
| banner.
|
| It looks like âWhy Microsoftâ is the not-
| much-anticipated sequel, where â in
| concert with a blog running cutting edge
| 3.5-year old software â Microsoft will
| again FUD, mislead and distort as it
| attacks alternatives to its proprietary
| lock-in-rich offerings â including some
| Open Source contenders like Open
| Office.org.
|
| The Present
|
| As the Gentle and Return Reader knows, one
| of my favorite past times is pointing out
| fallicies, distortions or downright lies.
| The entire âWhy Microsoftâ site is chock-
| full, but letâs just look at a few from
| the âSo, Youâre Considering
| OpenOffice.orgâ PDF Microsoft offers.
|
| [...]
|
| More of the same, of course. Present
| tactics are the same as the past tactics,
| save that Microsoft has gotten a little
| bit more clever in concealing its
| intentions.
|
| This is just another example of Microsoft
| FUDing an Open Source competitor. I guess
| thatâs alright if you are involved in a
| bit of FUD against OpenOffice.org
| yourself, but personally I donât approve.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/03/get-the-facts-ii-electric-boogaloo/

Time To Rebut The IIPA's FUD Against Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent blog posting at The Guardian
| about the US "Special 301" rules has
| generated deep concern around the global
| open source community. It points (via a
| blog posting by Edinburgh University law
| lecturer Andres Guadamuz) to this year's
| recommendations from the controversially-
| named International Intellectual Property
| Alliance, which describes itself as "a
| private sector coalition... of trade
| associations representing U.S. copyright-
| based industries" - namely
|
|     "the Association of American
|     Publishers (AAP), the Business
|     Software Alliance (BSA), the
|     Entertainment Software Association
|     (ESA), the Independent Film &
|     Television Alliance (IFTA), the Motion
|     Picture Association of America (MPAA),
|     the National Music Publishers'
|     Association (NMPA) and the Recording
|     Industry Association of America
|     (RIAA)".
`----

http://opensource.org/node/510

Recent:

London Stock Exchange takes Â20m hit on almost redundant TradElect platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The often troubled TradElect system remains five | times slower than rivals' reported speeds. It
| was upgraded in 2008 by Accenture at a cost of
| Â40 million, is based around Microsoft .Net
| architecture and runs on HP ProLiant servers
| with Cisco networking technology.
|
| It is due to be replaced at the end of next year
| by an open source based platform built by
| MillenniumIT, which the LSE acquired in
| September for Â18 million.
|
| [...]
|
| The system is aimed at saving the LSE over Â10
| million a year from 2012. It will also bring in-
| house the LSEâs software development, provide
| âdedicated research and development supportâ,
| and offer new revenue streams by selling
| technology to other financial markets.
|
| Profits at the stock exchange tumbled for the
| six months by 37 percent to Â79 million. The
| exchange reiterated that it hopes an ongoing
| cost cutting exercise and management restructure
| will save it over Â11 million a year.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/networking/messaging/news/index.cfm?newsid=17751

London Stock Exchange trading hit by technical glitch

,----[ Quote ]
| Trading on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) has
| been brought to a halt by technical
| difficulties.

London Stock Exchange trading hit by data glitch

,----[ Quote ]
| Technical problems led to the suspension of
| trading in some FTSE 100 stocks on the London
| Stock Exchange this morning.
|
| [...]
|
| Last month, the LSE announced it will acquire
| Sri Lankan trading firm Millennium IT for Â18
| million, replacing its Accenture built,
| Microsoft .Net-based TradElect platform. The new
| platform is understood to be based on Linux.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/infrastructure/applications/news/index.cfm?newsid=17077

London Stock Exchange in talks to buy Turquoise Trading technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month, the LSE announced it will acquire Sri Lankan
| trading firm Millennium IT for Â18 million, replacing its
| Accenture built, Microsoft .Net-based TradElect platform.
| The new platform is understood to be based on Linux.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/it-organisation/news/index.cfm?newsid=16883

London Stock Exchange grabs rival

,----[ Quote ]
| The London Stock Exchange is in exclusive talks to buy
| Project Turquoise, the rival trading platform set up by
| nine banks in order to push down transaction fees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/02/lse_turquoise_talks/

About that London Stock Exchange IT failure

,----[ Quote ]
| All of which should have you wonder what Linux has to do with any of this -
| Microsoftâs headline, youâll recall said that the LSE picked Windows over
| Linux for reliability.
|
| The answer is that Linux has nothing to do with any of this: Microsoft simply
| hung an anti-Linux label on a very carefully worded story about a pair of
| committed Microsoft partners, HP and Accenture, getting together with
| Microsoft to sell rather simple technology to a willing customer - and
| neither Linux nor Solaris is mentioned anywhere in the text.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1242

Furse should not resign, she should be sacked

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/13/furse_lse_comment/