[News] Open Wireless Internet Banned by MAFIAA, Vivendi Universal Kills Project

  • Subject: [News] Open Wireless Internet Banned by MAFIAA, Vivendi Universal Kills Project
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:43:22 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UK to kill off Internet cafes

,----[ Quote ]
| HE GLORIOUS BRITISH GOVERNMENT, upon which
| the sun finally set almost 100 years ago,
| has decided that having open WiFi networks
| is bad for the general population and it
| wants them all shut off.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1594048/uk-kill-internet-cafes

Government to disconnect entire families for alleged illegal downloading

,----[ Quote ]
| The Digital Economy Bill, currently being
| debated in the House of Lords, would give
| the Government the power to disconnect
| people from the internet if copyright
| files are downloaded without permission.
| The Government, heavily lobbied by the
| music industry, seems convinced that's the
| way to stop illicit file sharing and
| downloading of music. What's certain is
| that entire families could be be
| disconnected if only one member (or lodger
| or guest) is accused of illegal
| downloading.
`----

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2010/03/government-to-disconnect-entire-families-for-alleged-illegal-downloading.html

[The Silver Lining Development Team Shutting Down]

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, Phoenix Online Studios received a
| Cease & Desist letter from Vivendi
| Universal, the owners of the King's Quest
| IP, in regards to our work on The Silver
| Lining. We complied with the request, and
| over the months that followed, we were
| able to work out a non-commercial fan
| license with Vivendi that allowed us to
| continue our work on the game.
`----

http://www.tsl-game.com/

Recent:

Veoh Closing Down, UMG Lawsuit Blamed

,----[ Quote ]
| Online video sharing site Veoh is going out
| of business. The AllThingsD blog says it cut
| the entire staff yesterday and a bankruptcy
| filing is expected soon.
|
| [...]
|
| "Veoh is dead. Universal Music lawsuit was
| the main killer. Veoh won resoundingly but
| was mortally wounded by the senseless suit."
`----

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i550e90cd48d89b8c0504928f5c1c244e?utm_source=BillboardLatest&utm_medium=twitter

Video Site Veoh Files For Bankruptcy

,----[ Quote ]
| Dmitry Shapiro, CEO and founder of Veoh,
| said part of the company's problems were due
| to a costly legal battle with Universal
| Music Group over copyright infringement and
| the challenging economic environment.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/02/12/video-site-veoh-files-for-bankruptcy

Veoh Shuts Down; What Happens To The Lawsuit?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veoh basically won big in the lawsuit. Time
| and time again, every trick that Universal
| Music tried -- including suing Veoh's
| investors directly, was rejected by the
| judge, and the final ruling late last year
| was that Veoh abided by the DMCA and was
| protected by its safe harbors from Universal
| Music's lawsuit. It was a complete victory.

Warner Music Shoots Self In Head; Says No More Free Streaming

,----[ Quote ]