Re: [News] ACTA is Under Attack in Europe, the US Cracks Down on Net's Free Speech

____/ High Plains Thumper on Sunday 28 Feb 2010 08:44 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Rare Ruling on Damages for Sending Bogus Copyright Takedown
>> Notice--Lenz v. Universal
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> In the lawsuit over the allegedly bogus takedown of a YouTube video
>>> of a baby dancing to Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" (previous blog
>>> coverage), Judge Fogel has defined some standards for computing
>>> damages in a 17 USC 512(f) case, which creates a cause of action
>>> for sending certain types of bogus copyright takedown notices. I
>>> can't recall another case discussing the damages requirements of a
>>> 512(f) claim--the only other definitive 512(f) plaintiff's win was
>>> Online Policy Group v. Diebold (also before Judge Fogel), which
>>> settled for $125k before Judge Fogel reached damages. As a result,
>>> I believe this is a novel ruling which could have significant
>>> implications for future 512(f) cases.
>>>
>>> 512(f) says that the sender of an impermissible takedown notice
>>> "shall be liable for any damages, including costs and attorneys'
>>> fees, incurred [by the 512(f) plaintiff] as the result of the
>>> service provider relying upon such misrepresentation..." Judge
>>> Fogel interprets the language to mean that "a Â512(f) plaintiffâs
>>> damages must be proximately caused by the misrepresentation to the
>>> service provider and the service providerâs reliance on the
>>> misrepresentation." Accordingly, 512(f) does not require plaintiffs
>>> to show that they suffered economic losses.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2010/02/standards_for_5.htm
>
> I find it rather odd that the music artist Prince would seek legal
> recourse for the playing of a poor quality rendition of his music on the
> Internet as background for an amateur video.  Rather, I sense it is the
> arrogance of the right holders of the publishing company(s) and sense of
> greed that this would have to be judged by a court.
>
> For one, I would consider it free advertising.  If the listener like
> Prince's song, then they could buy a quality rendition.  I certainly
> wouldn't keep playing this woman's video of her child dancing, so I
> could hear the song.  This is a rather sad affair of the music industry,
> that it can't use common sense and judgement of what is right.
>
> It wasn't a professional performance for profit and Prince was not
> damaged, IMHO.
>
>> US government rescinds 'leave internet alone' policy
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> The US governmentâs policy of leaving the Internet alone is over,
>>> according to Obamaâs top official at the Department of Commerce.
>>>
>>> Instead, an âInternet Policy 3.0â approach will see policy
>>> discussions between government agencies, foreign governments, and
>>> key Internet constituencies, according to Assistant Secretary Larry
>>> Strickling, with those discussions covering issues such as privacy,
>>> child protection, cybersecurity, copyright protection, and Internet
>>> governance.
>> `----

> [...]

They can never quite enforce that.

Apropos, there are many newsgroup servers being taken down (retiring). It's
speech that's not centralised.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)