[News] Review of GNU/Linux Distribution SystemRescueCD 1.40

  • Subject: [News] Review of GNU/Linux Distribution SystemRescueCD 1.40
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:29:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The ultimate PC repair kit: SystemRescueCD 1.40

,----[ Quote ]
| Like everyone who makes his living from
| computers, I'm always getting called on by
| friends and family to help them fix their PC
| problems. Thanks to the Gentoo Linux-based
| SystemRescueCD, I'm usually able to fix most of
| their troubles without breaking a sweat.
|
| SystemRescueCD, like the name suggests, is a
| system rescue disk. You can use it as a
| bootable CD-ROM, USB stick, or even over a
| network connection. While you can use it as a
| desktop in own right, its real job is repairing
| crashed systems. In particular, with its disk
| and file system repair tools, it's great for
| bring dead hard drives back to life.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15669/the_ultimate_pc_repair_kit_systemrescuecd_1_40

Recent:

SystemRescueCD Rocks

,----[ Quote ]
| I took the opportunity to show off some
| GNU/Linux tricks my students will enjoy in the
| second semester. We should have the new server
| in production by then. It only needs a router
| configuration.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2009/12/14/systemrescuecd-rocks/

Product Spotlight: SystemRescueCD

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are looking for yet another tool to add to
| your system rescue toolkit, you should not overlook
| SystemRescueCD. With a solid set of tools on a
| LiveCD it is a must have for serious system
| administrators. There might be a bit of a learning
| curve for some of the more difficult tools, but it
| is worth the time and effort.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/products/?p=751

Spotlight: SystemRescueCD

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-13629_11-350244.html

SystemRescueCd 1.3.1 Includes Filesystem Benchmarking Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| SystemRescueCd creator FranÃois Dupoux is committed
| to keeping his distribution running on the latest and
| greatest software, because yesterday he released
| SystemRescueCD 1.3.1 and, as everyone is expecting,
| it is powered by version 2.6.31.1 of the Linux
| kernel. Along with that you will find a 2.6.27.35
| alternative kernel, a fresh NTFS-3G, 2009.4.4-AR19,
| and PartImage 0.6.8, which allows you to disable SSL
| at runtime.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/SystemRescueCd-1-3-1-Includes-Filesystem-Benchmarking-Tools-123384.shtml

SystemRescueCd 1.2.0 Has Linux Kernel 2.6.29.3

,----[ Quote ]
| FranÃois Dupoux announced yesterday evening the immediate availability of
| SystemRescueCd 1.2.0 Linux distribution. Big news comes with this version of
| the tiny Gentoo-based operating system for systems administration and data
| recovery, as it now has a new desktop environment, Xfce4, and it is powered
| by the just released Linux kernel 2.6.29.3. Without further introduction,
| let's have a detailed look at the main features of SystemRescueCd 1.2.0...
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/SystemRescueCd-1-2-0-Has-Linux-Kernel-2-6-29-3-111488.shtml

Linux emergency SystemRescueCd updated

,----[ Quote ]
| The SystemRescueCD developers have announced the release of version 1.2.0 of
| their Linux distribution.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Linux-emergency-SystemRescueCd-updated--/news/113279

SystemRescueCD 1.1.1 Introduces Support for Ralink Wireless USB Adaptors

,----[ Quote ]
| A new version of the SystemRescueCD is out and it brings important updates
| for various packages, new network drivers, the most awaited rt73 firmware for
| Wireless USB adaptors powered by the Ralink chipset, and a handful of bug
| fixes.
|
| A day after the release of SystemRescueCD 1.1.1 on November 10th, the
| development team also announced the first beta of the upcoming 1.1.2 release,
| which adds a new filesystem backup tool called FSArchiver.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/SystemRescueCD-1-1-1-Introduces-Support-for-Ralink-Wireless-USB-Adaptors-97774.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/69qb3s

Related:

Build a customized SystemRescueCd with your own kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| SystemRescueCd comes with four kernels which are rescuecd, rescue64 (standard
| kernels) and altker32, altker64 (alternative kernels). Anyway, you may want
| to compile your own linux kernel just because you need another driver, or you
| want more recent sources, or just different compilation options.
`----

http://www.sysresccd.org/news/2008/08/03/build-a-customized-systemrescuecd-with-your-own-kernel/
http://tinyurl.com/55wvls

Essential Linux Tool: SystemRescueCd

,----[ Quote ]
| SystemRescueCd 1.0.3 is an amazingly handy tool that's essential for system
| administrators and IT technicians. However, it's also very easy to use that I
| think even a regular Linux user can handle it. I'm so glad that I found
| SystemRescueCd because it has all the tools that I need to keep me from being
| paranoid of losing all of my essential files.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/06/essential-linux-tool-systemrescuecd.html

The Power of SystemRescueCD 1.0.3 - A Must Have Utility Disc

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=10448