[News] Review of the Next Ubuntu GNU/Linux, New Interviews

  • Subject: [News] Review of the Next Ubuntu GNU/Linux, New Interviews
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:43:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hands-on: Ubuntu goes social, gains Me Menu in 10.04 alpha 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the company behind the Ubuntu
| Linux distribution, is planning to overhaul
| the desktop panel and integrate social
| networking features in Ubuntu 10.04,
| codenamed Lucid Lynx. One of the key
| components of this effort is the Me Menu,
| which shipped in the Lucid alpha 3 last
| week.
|
| The Me Menu, which Canonical unveiled in
| December, provides a unified interface for
| managing your presence on instant messaging
| and social networking services. A text box
| that is embedded in the menu allows users to
| publish status messages to all of their
| accounts. The menu also provides easy access
| to the standard account and identity
| configuration tools.
|
| [...]
|
| Ubuntu 10.04 is a Long-Term Support (LTS)
| release, which means that Canonical intends
| to provide updates on the desktop for three
| years instead of the usual 18 months. During
| the development cycle for an LTS release,
| the Ubuntu developers focus on stabilization
| rather than introducing a lot of new
| features. Feature freeze is now in full
| effect, which means that the developers are
| going to be working primarily on bugfixes
| between now and the final release in April.
| The first beta release will come next month.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/03/hands-on-ubuntu-goes-social-gains-me-menu-in-1004-alpha-3.ars

Matt Asayâs Top Priorities and Goals

,----[ Quote ]
| At the beginning of February Matt Asay moved
| from Alfresco to Canonical, and Mattâs blog
| activity already reflects his career change
| and I asked Matt about his top priorities in
| the new role.
|
|     It has now been three weeks since I
|     started with Canonical, and each day it
|     becomes clearer to me just how massive
|     is the opportunity before Canonical and
|     the Ubuntu community, as well as the
|     great care that must be taken to ensure
|     that we realize this potential.
|
|     Itâs also becoming clear what I, in
|     particular, can do to help, coming after
|     the successful tenure of Jane Silber,
|     who was Canonicalâs COO and is now our
|     CEO:
|
|        1. Enterprise.  When most people
|        think of Canonical and Ubuntu, they
|        think âdesktop.â  This isnât
|        surprising, given Ubuntuâs popularity
|        on traditional desktops and industry-
|        changing netbooks alike.  I have been
|        amazed by how deep and wide Ubuntuâs
|        penetration is in this market.  Itâs
|        much bigger than Iâve ever seen
|        reported.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2010/03/01/matt-asays-top-priorities-and-goals/

Interview With Melissa

,----[ Quote ]
| PS: How did you get involved with Ubuntu and
| free software in general?
|
| MD: Whilst doing a web development diploma,
| a teacher, a BSD fanatic and probably the
| most influential teacher I ever had, was in
| the habit of interpreting syllabi modules
| such as "install an operating system" fairly
| openly. He taught his students how to
| install Linux and BSD as well as Windows
| (amusing aside: he also taught my mother to
| do the same!) and so began my obsession with
| Linux. I played around with live
| distributions for a while then installed
| Ubuntu on an old computer. I soon found I
| did not need XP any more.
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1988

Launchpad Moving to Closed Source Auth

,----[ Quote ]
| Soon there will be a new release of
| launchpad and along with some new feature
| and bug fixes will be the move to only using
| an OpenID provider for the authentication.
| (This incidentally is why ground control 1.5
| is broken currently)
`----

http://doctormo.ubuntu-ma.us/2010/03/01/launchpad-moving-to-closed-source-auth/

Recent: