[News] SourceForge Presents Lesser Known Free Software, Google Has Salmon

  • Subject: [News] SourceForge Presents Lesser Known Free Software, Google Has Salmon
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:52:17 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

March Project of the Month - Arianne

,----[ Quote ]
| Marchâs Project of the Month, Arianne, has
| the distinction of being one of
| SourceForgeâs longest-running projects. It
| was established in 1999 as an umbrella
| project that spawned several subprojects.
| Today, the most notable are:
|
| * Marauroa - an open source framework and
| engine to develop turn-based and real time
| games
|
| * Stendhal - a fully fledged and completely
| free multiplayer online adventures game
| (MMORPG)
|
| * Marboard - an early prototype of an easy
| to use vector graphics program allowing live
| collaboration over the Internet.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/march-project-of-the-month-arianne/

Swimming Upstream: 'Salmon,' Google's Open Source Social Web Aggregator

,----[ Quote ]
| Google engineers and the open source
| community have begun laying the groundwork
| to support an open social Web. The group has
| been working on a protocol that would
| aggregate conversations at the source, bring
| them back to any Web site related to the
| stream, and avoid spam and duplicate posts
| as well.
|
| The Salmon protocol aims to connect social
| networks that today cannot share posts and
| information. The goal to syndicate and
| aggregate conversations related to the
| original post that live in silos across the
| Internet would create what Google calls a
| social graph.
`----

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=123407

Recent:

SourceForge Inc changes its name to Geeknet

,----[ Quote ]
| SourceForge Inc. has announced that it has4
| officially changed its name to Geeknet.
| According to Scott L. Kauffman, President and
| CEO "Renaming the company Geeknet is the
| latest step in our rapid transformation.â The
| company believes that the new name will be a
| more accurate articulation of its business.
| Kauffman said "With Geeknet as our calling
| card on Madison Avenue, we are now able to
| clearly define the audience we serve and more
| effectively capture the business opportunity
| that we are addressing,â.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/SourceForge-Inc-changes-its-name-to-Geeknet-854336.html

SourceForge vs Google App Engine hosting

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/news/sourceforge-vs-google-app-engine-hosting