[News] The Success of the (Pure) GPL Licence and Where Compromise Exists

  • Subject: [News] The Success of the (Pure) GPL Licence and Where Compromise Exists
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:09:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

When Nerd Lawyers Clash: WordPress and the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently ran across a couple of
| interesting posts from Mike Wasylik over at
| Perpetual Beta  arguing that the GPL should
| not apply to themes.
|
| The first (and better, IMHO) is âWhy the GPL
| does not apply to premium WordPress themesâ.
| (The second, and lesser is âWhy the
| GPL/Derivitive Works debate doesnât matter
| for WordPress Themesâ)
|
| Hereâs a shocker: I actually like Mr.
| Wasylikâs criticism, not because I fully
| agree with it â I donât â but because the
| author lays out a reasoned case. I do not
| exaggerate when I say this is the first
| rational criticism of anything related to
| the GPL I can recall seeing.
|
| Compared to the normal âGPL==communismâ
| trash that passes as discussion in many
| circles, Mr. Wasylikâs writings are damn
| near scripture.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/03/when-nerd-lawyers-clash-wordpress-and-the-gpl/

Which Licence for Open Source Digital Voting?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a provocative thought:
|
|     Weâve dared to suggest that the GPL as
|     it stands today, or for that manner any
|     other common open source license, will
|     probably not work to adequately provide
|     a license to the software sources for
|     elections and voting systems technology
|     under development by the Open Source
|     Digital Voting Foundation.
|
| It's an important issue, since applying open
| source software to digital voting is
| something that you really want to get right
| - for the sake of open source and democracy.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/03/which-licence-for-open-source-digital.html

Open is the New Closed: How the Mobile Industry uses Open Source to Further Commercial Agendas, Andreas Constantinou

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source licensed software carries four
| basic freedoms that provide the right to
| access, modify, distribute and contribute to
| the software. These freedoms have been
| expanded into ten cardinal points that form
| the criteria that every open source license
| must adhere to, and which are defined by the
| Open Source Initiative.
|
| A handful of different licenses are used in
| the vast majority of open source projects;
| namely the GPL, LGPL, APL, EPL, MPL, BSD and
| MIT. Interestingly, the GPL which is known
| as a strong copyleft license, is most often
| used in personal computer and Internet
| projects, but is rarely used in the mobile
| industry. Instead, the licenses used most
| often in mobile software are weak copyleft,
| such as the EPL, or permissive licenses,
| such as the APL, due to handset manufacturer
| concerns for downstream liabilities.
|
| Licenses are Half the Story
|
| Whatâs often missed in open source
| discussions is how open source licenses tell
| only half the story. The governance model,
| the implicit rules defining transparency and
| influence into an open source project, is
| the small print that determines the power
| dynamics around that project.
`----

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/1049/1008

Recent: