[News] Tablets with Linux Less Than Half the Price of Tablet from Patent Bully Apple

  • Subject: [News] Tablets with Linux Less Than Half the Price of Tablet from Patent Bully Apple
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:15:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sub $200 Android tablets arrives: is the iPad doomed?

,----[ Quote ]
| The $179 Archos 7 vs the $ 499 iPad
|
| The Archos 5 inch tablet has never really
| been a competitor to the iPad, as the
| screen size did put it more in the MID /
| media player category than the tablet
| category. The new 7 Inch Archos tablet
| running Android on the other hand is
| clearly aiming at the iPad crowd. Its major
| selling point: the price, with some models
| going for as low as $179 (for the 2GB
| version), less than half the price of the
| iPad. Spec-wize the Archos tablet is
| somewhat inferior to the iPad: it uses an
| older ARM 9 processor (but then the iPad A4
| processor is not very fast either), has
| less storage (but allows for an SD card to
| be used), has a lower resolution screen and
| a more limited choice of application, but
| on the other hand it has a better media
| player (more formats are supported), do
| offer a browsing experience on par with the
| iPad and may support flash lite (flash 10.1
| won't be possible however). You probably
| will not get an integration as good as
| between the iPad and iTunes, but then you
| won't have to deal with Apple censorship
| (you can install ANY working application
| just by downloading the apk file) and Linux
| is officially supported as your desktop OS.
|
| [...]
|
| When you add to that the recent shenanigans
| concerning "sexy apps" (not so much a
| problem in the US, but much more here in
| Europe where we are not used to that kind
| of censorship) I can see Android tablets
| winning the tablet war on the long term.
`----

http://www.tech-no-media.com/2010/03/sub-200-android-tablets-arrives-is-ipas.html

Recent:

Apple sues HTC over phone patents

Apple sues HTC for patent infringements in Android phones

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Apple-sues-HTC-for-patent-infringements-in-Android-phones-944567.html

Apple Goes After HTC In Lawsuit Over 20 iPhone Patents

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/02/apple-goes-after-htc-in-lawsuit-over-20-iphone-patents/