[News] Free ECM Software Gets Another Channel of Distribution

  • Subject: [News] Free ECM Software Gets Another Channel of Distribution
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:36:23 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source ECM platforms bring mobility to market

,----[ Quote ]
| Zia Consulting extends and supports ECM
| applications and has frequently used
| Alfresco, an open source ECM product, for
| client applications. The company keeps its
| own content in an Alfresco repository as
| well, and wanted to be able to connect to it
| via smartphones. âWe use an Alfresco solution
| thatâs in the cloud, which is very
| convenient,â says Mike Mahon, president of
| Zia Consulting, âbut we did not want to rely
| solely on laptops for connectivity when we
| were on the road. In addition, we wanted to
| give something back to the Alfresco
| community. So we decided to develop an app,
| Fresh Docs for Alfresco, for mobile platforms
| so that users could access content in
| Alfresco repositories.â
`----

http://www.kmworld.com/Articles/Editorial/Feature/Open-source-ECM-platforms-bring-mobility-to-market-61180.aspx

Alfresco and VDEL GmbH Partner to Deliver Open Source ECM Solutions to Eastern Europe, Russia, and CIS

,----[ Quote ]
| Alfresco is the leading open source
| alternative for ECM.
`----

http://www.emailwire.com/release/35093-Alfresco-and-VDEL-GmbH-Partner-to-Deliver-Open-Source-ECM-Solutions-to-Eastern-Europe-Russia-and-CIS.html

Recent:

Alfresco extends customer support in software upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source content management company has celebrated doubling its revenue in
| the last financial year by launching a new version of its software.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/033109-alfresco-extends-customer-support-in.html

Content BOM: Going Open for ECM with Alfresco

,----[ Quote ]
| The overlaps between the pigeon holes that we put software in are getting
| more and more common. ECM, Enterprise Content Management, is not something I
| normally cover. Alfresco however provides a Business Operating Platform (BOM)
| for content. In addition it has 2 interesting credentials: firstly it is an
| open source product and secondly the company is led by John Newton, founder
| of Documentum, and John Powell, former COO of Business Objects.
`----

http://www.it-director.com/enterprise/content.php?cid=11181

Alfresco provides further proof that open source is mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| Alfresco has been on a roll lately. Word on the street is that Alfresco just
| nailed another quarter (That's eight straight quarters of growth and hitting
| its plan). This week Alfresco came out with some other cool news that I was
| forced pry out of of Matt Asay, as we both try to not shill for our own
| companies.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10030323-62.html

Alfresco-Adobe Pact Pushes Open Source Toward the Mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| The surprise was two-fold, that Adobe felt it was necessary to add content
| management services at all and that it chose open source vendor Alfresco as
| its content management partner.
|
| [...]
|
| If the Alfresco-Adobe deal can help push open source further into the
| enterprise mainstream, it will not only be a big deal for Alfresco, but could
| be a big step for other open source vendors as well.

Alfresco's Latest ECM: Prying Open a Sector?

,----[ Quote ]
| John Newton, the chairman and CTO at open source document management firm
| Alfresco, is no stranger to Enterprise Content Management (ECM). You might
| even say he helped put the term on the IT map when he co-founded Documentum,
| the document management company that EMC later bought.
|
| But that was then. Now, he's all about Alfresco's latest Enterprise 2.2
| product, and is trying to up the ante in a market sector dominated by
| proprietary vendors.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3746996/Alfrescos+Latest+ECM+Prying+Open+a+Sector.htm
http://tinyurl.com/5qjcse

Alfresco's sales up 320 percent, hits 30,000 active deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| Frankly, even Microsoft could use this model - as Marc Fleury pointed out to
| me earlier this week - without skipping a beat. It could adopt Red Hat's
| model tomorrow without sacrificing its billions in profit. If anything, it
| should grow with a model that focuses on widespread, cheap distribution.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9913953-16.html

Cracking Open the SharePoint Fortress

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that I've not missed something here, this new
| Google Sites API seems pretty big to me: it offers a
| Get Out of Jail Free card to businesses that would
| otherwise find some of their content locked away in
| SharePoint. And once that data is liberated, there are
| plenty of open enterprise content management solutions
| out there that would be glad to accommodate it â
| without the lock-in, of course.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2558&blogid=14

US Bank dumps Sharepoint (to spend more time with Lotus)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/15/us_bank_switches_to_ibm_lotus/