Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Cheats in Browser Ballot

____/ Fritz Wuehler on Tuesday 02 Mar 2010 19:40 : \____

>> Doing the Microsoft Shuffle: Algorithm Fail in Browser Ballot
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The story first hit in last week on the
>> | Slovakian tech site DSL.sk.  Since I am not
>> | linguistically equipped to follow the
>> | Slovakian tech scene, I didnït hear about the
>> | story until it was brought up in English on
>> | TechCrunch.  The gist of these reports is
>> | this: DSL.sk did a test of the ïballotï
>> | screen at www.browserchoice.eu, used in
>> | Microsoft Windows 7 to prompt the user to
>> | install a browser.  It was a Microsoft
>> | concession to the EU, to provide a randomized
>> | ballot screen for users to select a browser.
>> | However, the DSL.sk test suggested that the
>> | ordering of the browsers was far from random.
>> |
>> | But this wasnït a simple case of Internet
>> | Explorer showing up more in the first
>> | position.  The non-randomness was pronounced,
>> | but more complicated.  For example, Chrome
>> | was more likely to show up in one of the
>> | first 3 positions.  And Internet Explorer
>> | showed up 50% of the time in the last
>> | position.  This has lead to various theories,
>> | made on the likely mistaken theory that this
>> | is an intentional non-randomness.  Does
>> | Microsoft have secret research showing that
>> | the 5th position is actually chosen more
>> | often?  Is the Internet Explorer random
>> | number generator not random?  There were also
>> | comments asserting that the tests proved
>> | nothing, and the results were just chance,
>> | and others saying that the results are
>> | expected to be non-random because computers
>> | can only make pseudo-random numbers, not
>> | genuinely random numbers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2010/02/microsoft-random-browser-ballot.html
>>

>> Recent:
>>
>> How Random Is Microsoftïs Random Browser Choice Screen In Europe?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | More than once out of every four hits, the
>> | page would show Google Chrome on the far
>> | left, and Internet Explorer would only make
>> | it to the first spot in 13,8% of page loads
>> | (scoring well below all four other
>> | browsers). In fact, in over 50% of all page
>> | hits, Internet Explorer would come out to
>> | the far right spot of the five browser
>> | choices shown on the screen.
>> `----
>>
>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>

> I wouldn't go so far as to call them cheaters, but it clearly shows
> that they have a lot of INCOMPETENT programmers working for them. Most
> competent programmers would have been able to get it right (although
> few would have chosen Fisher-Yates).
>
> It just illustrates why Windows sucks like a 2000W vacuum cleaner and
> why Linux / FOSS will win.

Good programmers appear to be working at companies like Oracle, with
quite a lot of talent drifting towards Google as well.

To cut costs, Microsoft has moved many job/programmers overseas and 'imported'
even more (Abramoff|Gates visas).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"Lotus Notes for Dummies" is surely a single page pull out with
"don't" printed on it. -- Unknown
 23:20:01 up 108 days, 20:51,  2 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.57, 0.38