[News] Free/Libre Web Browsers Get More Extensions, Downloads; Mozilla Informs About Choice

  • Subject: [News] Free/Libre Web Browsers Get More Extensions, Downloads; Mozilla Informs About Choice
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 07:08:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Chrome Is Rapidly Approaching Firefox In Extension Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| It was only December when Google officially
| launched extensions for its Chrome browser.
| Almost immediately, there were 500
| extensions in the gallery as many
| developers had been working on them for a
| while. Today, Google is saying that number
| is now past 3,000. And thatâs significant
| because itâs already pretty close to the
| browser known for its extensions (which it
| calls âadd-onsâ), Firefox.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/04/chrome-firefox-extension-numbers/

MDN Logo Update

,----[ Quote ]
| The other day I posted some work-in-
| progress versions of the potential new
| Mozilla Developer Network logo. As part of
| that, I asked for feedback from the
| community and got a *ton* of great input
| (142 comments at the last count). Thanks to
| everyone who took the time to share their
| thoughts.
`----

http://www.intothefuzz.com/2010/03/03/mdn-logo-update/

Hear that Mozilla Drumbeat? No, Me Neither

,----[ Quote ]
| A few months ago, I wrote about Mozilla's
| new Drumbeat campaign, "a global community
| of people and projects using technology to
| help internet users understand, participate
| and take control of their online lives."
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/03/hear-that-mozilla-drumbeat-no-me.html

Drumbeat/calendar

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Drumbeat/calendar

The road back to par: Radical reconstructive surgery planned for Firefox 4.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla not only saw this trend coming, but
| frankly drove this trend in this direction
| some years ago, with the move to add just-
| in-time (JIT) compilation to its Firefox
| JavaScript interpreter. The JavaScript
| engine Mozilla introduced in version 3.5,
| dubbed TraceMonkey, borrows a concept from
| these language frameworks by tracing the
| direction of JS instructions ahead of time,
| catabolizing those instructions into loops,
| and generating a kind of intermediate code
| that can be very simply recompiled into
| machine code (assembly) at run time.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/The-road-back-to-par-Radical-reconstructive-surgery-planned-for-Firefox-40/1267739044

Schools for Scandal - the UK's

,----[ Quote ]
| Obviously, it's scandalous that schools not
| only don't have the option to install
| Firefox in the first place - since it's
| much safer than Internet Explorer - but
| that they must *pay* to install it
| afterwards. As the article rightly notes,
| this means they also pay in another way,
| through lock-in to old software because
| they can't afford to do so.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/03/schools-for-scandal-uks.html

Unite Media Player, A Widget for Opera

,----[ Quote ]
| There is now a Media Player widget
| available for Opera Browser, its Unite
| Media Player. The applications aims to
| provide a lot of simplicity to the user.
| You can directly browser yours or your
| friend's music and play it right from their
| devices. No need of uploads/downloads or
| third party stuff, the music will be
| streamed from anywhere for you.
`----

http://linuxers.org/article/unite-media-player-widget-opera

What a Difference Marketing Makes: Opera Triples Downloads with Browser Ballot

http://ostatic.com/blog/what-a-difference-marketing-makes-opera-triples-downloads-with-browser-ballot

Recent:

Mozilla issues new Firefox test release

,----[ Quote ]
| The software is based on version 1.9.3 of
| the Gecko browser engine that underlies
| Firefox. The current Firefox 3.6, and an
| update called Lorentz, are based on 1.9.2.
|
| The headline feature of the new preview
| release is the same for Lorentz, though:
| out-of-process plug-ins, which means that
| Adobe Systems Flash Player and the like
| run in a separate memory compartment to
| protect the browser overall when they
| crash. Mozilla hopes people will see how
| well it works on an OOPP testing page.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000117-264.html

Researchers Develop 3D Graphics Capability for Firefox

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190666/researchers_develop_3d_graphics_capability_for_firefox.html