[News] Linux Australia and Other Programmes for Training and Compliance

  • Subject: [News] Linux Australia and Other Programmes for Training and Compliance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 22:46:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux Australia to fund research into licence compliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Australia, the umbrella organisation
| for Linux user groups in the country, has
| decided to provide funding for research to
| determine the applicability of the Trade
| Practices Act as a compliance tool.
|
| [...]
|
| Further, Scott pointed out, there were
| other difficulties involved in going to
| court over such licences in Australia -
| the copyright holders were, to large
| extent, from other countries. If a case
| was filed to try and enforce compliance,
| the copyright holder would have to be
| party to the case and hence present in
| Australia.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/it-industry-news/development/37379-linux-australia-to-fund-research-into-licence-compliance

Advantages of Combining Training with Outsourcing

,----[ Quote ]
| Company B takes a completely different
| route. Recognizing that their Windows
| admins are not familiar with Linux and
| could use structured Linux training to
| help them achieve the goal, they first
| send two admins to an virtual training
| course for Nagios. In the classroom the
| two admins have practice servers that are
| available and a live instructor to ask
| questions and get ideas. The admins build
| and test Nagios in labs provided by the
| training company. At the same time, the
| company outsources the Nagios server
| install to the same company that trains
| the admins and within a month they have
| Nagios up and running and two fully
| trained admins to support the Nagios
| server. The training cost $395 each and
| the Nagios outsourcing cost the company
| $500. Total cost for training two admins,
| $2330. This assumes 8 hours of training
| for each of the administrators.
`----

http://spidertools.com/blog/linux-consulting/advantages-of-combining-training-with-outsourcing/