[News] GNU/Linux Taken to More Nations

Red Star OS, a Linux Distro Made in North Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| North Korea has been discovered developing
| its own Linux distro named Red Star OS. To
| make it even more interesting, it is said to
| be commissioned by the infamous Kim Jong-il.
|
| A Russian student of Kim Il-sung University
| at Pyongyang bought the distro for $5 USD at
| an information centre, and then shared his
| discovery through his blog.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2010/03/red-star-os-linux-distro-made-in-north.html

Taking Linux into the Wild Woods

,----[ Quote ]
| Places like this sometimes have computers,
| and a reasonable amount of use for one, but
| they're way outside the normal network
| connected sphere of influence you see in the
| regular world.  That then begs the question,
| how do we get Linux into areas like that?
|
| The One Laptop Per Child project and others
| like that are working to solve that problem
| for many of us.  However, what do you do
| about the people who already have computers
| and either have never heard about Linux, or
| have no way to get it (ie, no internet, or
| limited connectivity).  What can we do to
| bring Linux to them?  Has anyone even thought
| about this?
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/taking_linux_into_the_wild_woods/

Recent:

KDE in North Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| I just saw an article about North Korean
| Linux distro, named "ëìë" from Russian
| blog. Although I don't know anything about
| distro's base, who developed and
| translated, who packaged, etc. The
| interesting part is that this distribution
| is using KDE, release 3.x. Also it is
| translated in "North" Korean standard,
| which is different from "South" Korean
| standard, especially in technological
| terms. North uses loanwords from Russian
| language, while South uses them from
| English. North try to keep pure Korean
| terms, South widely adopted foreign
| loanwords. As of linguistic and real
| world, maybe also political
| difference(south and north can't
| communicate), we can't mix and match the
| translation.
`----

http://en.peremen.name/entry/kde-in-north-korea

Report: North Korea Develops Own Linux Distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| North Korea has reportedly developed its
| own version of the Linux operating with a
| graphical user interface that closely
| resembles Microsoft Windows.
|
| A copy of the North Korean Linux
| distribution, called Red Star, was
| purchased in Pyongyang for US$5 by a
| Russian student named Mikhail, who then
| posted a brief review of it on his blog
| using the Russian embassy's Internet
| connection, according to the English-
| language Web site of Russia Today, a
| Russian television news channel.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190776/report_north_korea_develops_own_linux_distribution.html

N. Korea develops own OS

,----[ Quote ]
| North Korea's self-developed software
| operating system named the "Red Star" was
| brought to light for the first time by a
| Russian satellite broadcaster yesterday.
`----

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2010/03/04/201003040036.asp

North Koreaâs âsecret cyber-weaponâ: brand new Red Star OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only does North Korea have âits own
| Internetâ â a national information network
| independent from the US-based Internet
| regulator â it also has an operating system,
| developed under by order of Kim Jong-il.
|
| Russian student Mikhail, who studies in the
| Kim Il-sung University and writes a blog from
| the Russian embassy in Pyongyang, has
| recently purchased the Red Star Operating
| System (OS) and tested it. Courtesy of
| Mikhail, RT gives you an opportunity to take
| glimpse at IT life of worldâs most closed
| country.
`----

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-03-01/north-korea-cyber-weapon.html

Red Star OS: Linux distro from North Korea

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/linux-news/red-star-os-linux-distro-north-korea.html