[News] Appearance/Branding of Next Ubuntu GNU/Linux - Debate Continues

  • Subject: [News] Appearance/Branding of Next Ubuntu GNU/Linux - Debate Continues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:38:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

S03E02 â Their Purple Moment

,----[ Quote ]
| A full house of Laura Cowen, Ciemon
| Dunville, Alan Pope, Dave Walker and Tony
| Whitmore bring you season three, episode
| two of the Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo
| Team!
`----

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/

First impressions of Ubuntu's new look

,----[ Quote ]
| I love this. This Plymouth theme looks
| really classy, clean and is tastefully
| done. Not that I'll get to see it for long
| as my main machine has raided SSDs and
| boots in a few seconds!
`----

http://techpad.co.uk/content.php?sid=95

A Picture-Happy Overview of the Upcoming Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, here's the short visual tour I've
| compiled with some of the new things that
| are coming straight to your Ubuntu
| machines at the end of April.
`----

http://www.itlure.com/2010/03/picture-happy-overview-of-upcoming.html

Ubuntu Artwork Gaining Momentum - 5 Cool Community Contributed Themes from Ubuntu Artwork Pool

,----[ Quote ]
| The trend had already started with the
| release of Ubuntu Karmic. A number of
| community contributed themes started
| pouring in and some of them even got into
| the list of default themes for Ubuntu.
| Now, community contributed themes are
| gaining further traction with the release
| date for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 getting
| nearer everyday. Meanwhile, take a look at
| 15 Awesome Wallpapers from Ubuntu Artwork
| Pool.
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/03/ubuntu-artwork-gaining-momentum-5-cool.html

6 Desktop Fonts to try in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| A fresh install of Ubuntu yields one
| annoyance that seems to irritate most
| people: the default âSansâ font is set at
| a gigantic 10px.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/6-desktop-fonts-to-try-in-ubuntu.html

Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) Alpha 3 Screenshots Gallery (Updated with new wallpaper,theme)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu developers are moving quickly
| to bring you the absolute latest and
| greatest software the Open Source
| community has to offer. The Lucid Lynx
| Alpha 3 is the third alpha release of
| Ubuntu 10.04, bringing with it the
| earliest new features for the next version
| of Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-alpha-3-screenshots-gallery-updated-with-new-wallpapertheme.html

The style is light, the software is â

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Ubuntu rebranding is still at
| the forefront of everyoneâs mind, I think
| Iâll throw in my meager opinion: Itâs
| great. I love it. Itâs clean, itâs fresh,
| itâs a new direction. Itâs classy, itâs
| simple, itâs sharp and itâs light â
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/the-style-is-light-the-software-is/

Recent:

New in lucid...

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're running lucid with the latest
| updates be sure to try click n' drag the
| window from anywhere in the top dark area.
| In other words, the windeco and menubar
| are both dragable now.
`----

http://kwwii.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-in-lucid.html

Ubuntu 10.04âs UI â What Can Less Brown Do For You?

,----[ Quote ]
| If thereâs two things Ubuntu has always
| been, itâs brown and orange. This has a
| striking resemblance to the not-so good
| looking nature of, say, a shag living room
| carpet circa the 1970s.
|
| You canât convince me that a brown
| interface with bright orange icons looks
| good. Not a chance. Ubuntu has been like
| that for quite some time. While itâs true
| you could always change the GUI colors to
| whatever you wish, the point is that you
| always see a cavalcade of brown and orange
| on first install.
|
| [...]
|
| If youâre wondering whatâs breaking
| familiarity with 10.04âs desktop compared
| to 9.10, the bottom panel isnât there by
| default, the aforementioned window
| controls have been moved from right to
| left, and I donât see any workspace
| switching options in the top panel whereas
| you did before in the now-gone bottom
| panel.
`----

http://www.pcmech.com/article/ubuntu-10-04s-ui-what-can-less-brown-do-for-you/

Hands-on: a close look at Ubuntu's new non-brown theme

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/03/hands-on-a-close-look-at-ubuntus-new-non-brown-theme.ars

And Ubuntu changed again!

,----[ Quote ]
| If there is one thing I do not like about
| Ubuntu, or better still, that irritates me
| about the project, it is the frequency
| with which things keep changing on the GUI
| front. Heck, seems every release has a
| learning curve in terms of GUI!
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/03/and-ubuntu-changed-again.html

Is operating system beauty skin deep?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu has the opposite problem. Itâs just
| an operating system. What it needs is a
| standard application bundle, shipped
| together or in conjunction with it, to make
| it useful. An operating system, a graphics
| program, a browser, and basic utilities
| people use every day.
|
| While Microsoft is anxious to create these
| bundles, seeing it as opportunity, however,
| Ubuntu seems to see this as a Hobsonâs
| Choice. Since open source programs carry no
| price, there is little basis on which it
| can make these choices.
|
| It needs to make them.
|
| What I want in an operating system isnât
| something that runs a computer. What I want
| is a computer that runs. I want it to be
| simple, I want it to be fast, I want it to
| be complete.
`----

http://www.smartplanet.com/technology/blog/thinking-tech/is-operating-system-beauty-skin-deep/3306/

Light: the new look of Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Jono Bacon, Alan Pope, and many others have
| written, yesterday we published a new
| visual story and style for Ubuntu. The core
| design work was lead by Marcus Haslam, Otto
| Greenslade and Dominic Edmunds, who are the
| three visual artists leading our efforts in
| the Canonical Design team. Once we had the
| base ideas in place we invited some anchor
| members of the Ubuntu Art community to a
| design sprint, to test that the concept had
| the legs to work with the full range of
| forums, websites, derivatives and other
| pieces of this huge and wonderful project.
| And apparently, it does!
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308

Ubuntu has new themes â but what is up with those window buttons?

,----[ Quote ]
| So what has been learned from this example.
| Sometimes something untraditional,
| especially in regard to interfaces can
| increase usability and make things
| generally easier. Of course other real
| world scenarios could discredit this
| reasoning. Please feel free to post any
| scenarios in which you feel this button
| arrangement is more of a hindrance than
| helpful.
`----

http://elementmypc.com/blog/?p=15

6 Amazing Gnome Shell Themes (And How To Install Themes In Gnome Shell)

,----[ Quote ]
| Some things you should know:
|
|     * for now there is no way to install
|     multiple themes, so each time you install
|     a theme you must overwrite the previous
|     one
|     * when you upgrade Gnome Shell, it will
|     revert to the default theme so you must
|     install the theme again
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/02/5-amazing-gnome-shell-themes-and-how-to.html

Gnome Shell 2.29.0 Released [What's New And Screenshots Inside]

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnome Shell is the new core user interface
| for Gnome 3 which provides switching
| windows and applications but you've
| probably already heard of it by now so I'll
| skip the introduction. However, I would
| like to mention that this is still a VERY
| EARLY version of GNOME Shell and should not
| be taken of indicative of the final user
| interface or performance.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/02/gnome-shell-2290-released-whats-new-and.html

GNOME Shell 2.29 Brings A Lot Of Improvements

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODAwNw