[News] Free Software Events in Preview, Pictures

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Events in Preview, Pictures
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 23:32:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Business Conference: 5 Trends Worth Watching

,----[ Quote ]
| When the Open Source Business Conference
| starts March 17 in San Francisco, The VAR Guy
| will be watching and listening closely for
| signs of corporate open source momentum from
| upstarts like Canonical and giants like
| Microsoft, Oracle and even SAP. Yes,
| Microsoft, Oracle and SAP. Here are five
| trends to anticipate at the OSBC conference.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/03/07/open-source-business-conference-5-trends-worth-watching/

CeBIT Open Source 2010 in Pictures

,----[ Quote ]
| From March 2-6 CeBIT Open Source 2010 called
| open source projects, enterprises, and
| organizations to Hannover, Germany. Here's
| our photo gallery from the talks in the Open
| Source forum, the project lounge, and the
| Linux New Media awards.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/CeBIT-Open-Source-2010-in-Pictures

Recent:

Registration for Google I/O Conference Closed; Event Sold Out

,----[ Quote ]
| Registration for this year's Google I/O
| Conference has scarcely been open two
| months and it's already sold out. Google
| announced today that it is formally closing
| registration for the event, slated to be
| held on May 19-20 at Moscone West in San
| Francisco.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/registration-for-google-i-o-conference-closed-event-sold-out

Linux New Media Awards 2010 Presented at CeBIT

,----[ Quote ]
| Markus Feilner, Klaus Knopper, and Jim
| Zemlin helped present the 2010 Linux New
| Media Awards at CeBIT. Winners accepted
| their awards on stage while the ceremony
| streamed live over the Internet.
`----

http://www.ubuntu-user.com/Online/News/Linux-New-Media-Awards-2010-Presented-at-CeBIT

CeBIT 2010: Linux Successes, Challenges

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ubuntu-user.com/Online/News/CeBIT-2010-Linux-Successes-Challenges

Linux New Media Awards 2010 Presented at CeBIT

,----[ Quote ]
| Markus Feilner, Klaus Knopper, and Jim
| Zemlin helped present the 2010 Linux New
| Media Awards at CeBIT. Winners accepted
| their awards on stage while the ceremony
| streamed live over the Internet.
|
| [...]
|
| Klaus Knopper announced the winner for Best
| Open Source Contribution for Mobile Devices
| and presented the award to Google Android.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Linux-New-Media-Awards-2010-Presented-at-CeBIT

CeBIT 2010: BIND 10 is coming

,----[ Quote ]
| At this year's CeBIT IT trade show in
| Hannover, The H spoke with BIND 10 Programme
| Manager Shane Kerr about the next version
| of BIND, the most widely used Domain Name
| System (DNS) server on the Internet. Like
| BIND 9, BIND 10 is a complete re-design and
| re-write of the previous version.
| Development on the BIND 10 project
| officially began on the 1st of April, 2009.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/CeBIT-2010-BIND-10-is-coming-945926.html

CeBIT 2010 Prevue: Sparks, Smouldering

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source has an enormous following in
| the EU, and there's not only an Open
| Source Pavilion, but it's not just a
| gathering of 10x10 booths with geek-
| speakers-- far more interesting than that.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/business/98252/cebit-2010-prevue-sparks-smouldering

CeBIT 2010: IPFire open source firewall

,----[ Quote ]
| The H spoke with IPFire's Project Leader
| and Developer Michael Tremer at this
| year's CeBIT IT trade show in Hannover,
| Germany about his open source firewall.
| IPFire is a Linux distribution that can be
| booted from a CD or USB drive, or
| installed to a computer's hard disk drive.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/CeBIT-2010-IPFire-open-source-firewall-945501.html

CeBIT 2010: German police to use open source Navit navigation

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Martin Schaller, the Navit
| Project Leader, the German district of
| Brandenburg is trialling the Navit car
| navigation system for its Police System.
| Schaller spoke to The H at CeBIT 2010
| about the trial. Navit is an open source,
| cross-platform car navigation suite that
| includes a built-in routing engine.
| Schaller says that, while the system is
| still considered to be in development, the
| district will be testing Navit this month
| with at least three of its cars.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/CeBIT-2010-German-police-to-use-open-source-Navit-navigation-944770.html

CeBIT Open Source Forum 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| For the second time in a row, CeBIT will be
| devoting an entire section to the topic of
| open source. The event will be supported by
| international industry associations and
| representative bodies such as the Linux
| Foundation, Linux International, the Free
| Software Foundation Europe and the LIVE Linux
| Association. The Open Source Forum will serve
| as the lively hub of the exhibition, which in
| turn features a diverse range of open source
| companies and independent projects.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Events/CeBIT-Open-Source-Forum-2010

Open Source Gets Bigger CeBIT Spotlight

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the news coming out of Hannover,
| Germany the permanent home for the CeBIT
| show, where the CeBIT Open Source 2010
| event will be taking center stage at one of
| the largest expo halls according to show
| organizers Deutsche Messe. According to
| Britta WÃlfing, CeBIT Event Manager, the
| shift of the Open Source exhibition to the
| more prominent Hall 2 is a direct response
| to the huge popularity this segment of the
| show enjoyed in 2009.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/open-source-gets-bigger-cebit-spotlight

Debian Project at CeBIT 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian Project is happy to announce that
| it will again be represented at the CeBIT IT
| fair in Hanover, Germany, this year. At the
| booth of Univention GmbH in hall 2 stand B36,
| members of the project will be available for
| questions and discussions and will give a
| preview of the new version Debian 6.0
| "Squeeze", which is expected to be released
| this year.
|
| In addition the new port to the FreeBSD Kernel
| "Debian GNU/kFreeBSD" will be presented at the
| booth as well as in a introductory lecture.
| The lecture will take place on Tuesday, March
| 2nd 2010 at 5:15 pm at the CeBIT Open Source
| Forum (hall 2, stand F38).
`----

http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100222

CeBIT 2009: OpenStreetMap Wins Two Linux New Media Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux New Media AG has presented its annual awards for outstanding
| contributions to Open Source at CeBIT 2009 in Hannover. The OpenStreetMap
| project ended up garnering two of the six Linux New Media awards.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/cebit_2009_openstreetmap_wins_two_linux_new_media_awards

See you at CeBIT?

,----[ Quote ]
| This year for the first time they have an open source sub-conference hiding
| pretty much unadvertised inside the event and I'll be speaking there on
| Wednesday March 4th at 3:15pm. I'll also be presenting one of the open source
| awards on March 5th in the evening.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/see_you_at_cebit

CeBIT Open Source: Live Stream of Forum Talks for Free

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/cebit_open_source_live_stream_of_forum_talks_for_free