[News] A Look at the History of MySQL Database, CouchDB

  • Subject: [News] A Look at the History of MySQL Database, CouchDB
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:20:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The history of MySQL AB

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL, the open source database product
| that puts the "M" in LAMP, was created by
| MySQL AB, a company founded in 1995 in
| Sweden. In 2008, MySQL AB announced that it
| had agreed to be acquired by Sun
| Microsystems for approximately $1 billion.
`----

http://buytaert.net/the-history-of-mysql-ab

Open Source CouchDB Heads to the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| SQL-based relational database management
| systems (RDBMS) are beginning to be
| challenged by a new movement of NoSQL
| databases. Among those NoSQL databases is
| the open source CouchDB, which provides an
| alternative to the relational datastores
| used by RDBMS vendors -- and which is
| banking on cloud-based deployment options
| to sweeten its appeal to users.
`----

http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/3869036/Open-Source-CouchDB-Heads-to-the-Cloud.htm

Reconciling Sun's Java investments with Oracle's: a simple suggestion

,----[ Quote ]
| On the theoretical side the answer starts
| with a reality most people want to ignore:
| the java ecosystem thatâs grown up around
| mobile phones, cards, and other smart
| devices is only marginally related to the
| java ecosystem thatâs grown up around
| enterprise applications - and thereâs no
| threat to mobile java here at all.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1784

The Post-Oracle Sun Exodus

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what does this mean for Oracle? Well,
| obviously less than it would have meant for
| Sun. Whenever two large technology
| companies merge, you always expect some
| attritionâ both voluntary and involuntary.
| Thatâs what makes M&A in this industry so
| difficult, especially when Open Source
| companies are involved. With an Open Source
| company, much or what youâre acquiring when
| you buy a company is the people. If those
| people start leaving in droves, much of the
| value of the company goes with it.
`----

http://jeremy.linuxquestions.org/2010/03/08/the-post-oracle-sun-exodus/

â Last Day At Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Today is my last day of employment at Sun
| (well, it became Oracle on March 1st in the
| UK but you know what I mean). I am a few
| months short of my 10th anniversary there
| (I joined at JavaOne in 2000) and my 5th
| anniversary as Chief Open Source Officer. I
| hope youâll forgive a little reminiscence.
`----

http://webmink.com/2010/03/08/sundown/

â OpenSolaris Governing Board

,----[ Quote ]
| I am standing in the election for the
| OpenSolaris Governing Board one last time
| (this would be my third consecutive term if
| elected, so it has to be the last time).
| Each term has been quite different to the
| others, and I have no doubt this next year
| will be very different again for the
| OpenSolaris community.
`----

http://webmink.com/2010/03/09/ogb-vote/

Recent:

PostgreSQL Agenda 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| 2010 will see PostgreSQL release its first
| major new version for a long time: version
| 9.0. The release of version 9.0 is an
| important milestone in the evolution of
| PostgreSQL. Integral to this release are new
| features such as the operation of standby
| servers in read-only mode (hot standby) and
| an integrated replication solution.
`----

http://blog.credativ.com/2010/02/postgresql-agenda-2010-2/

What now for MySQL?