[News] Freedom and Openness Movement Spreads to Data and Information: New Examples

  • Subject: [News] Freedom and Openness Movement Spreads to Data and Information: New Examples
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:43:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New Project Puts Open Source Spin on Data Center Design

,----[ Quote ]
| A new initiative seeks to give future data
| centers an open source twist by developing
| an open and free engineering framework for
| data center designers and builders. Such
| standardized approaches could "remove much
| mystery behind the work that happens in
| designing facilities," according to Nokia's
| Michael Manos, an adiviser on the project.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/New-Project-Puts-Open-Source-Spin-on-Data-Center-Design-69501.html

Five for Friday: Biggest Breakthroughs in Open Science

,----[ Quote ]
| As Peter Suber puts it on his blog, Open
| Access News, âthis is big.â Why? First of
| all, itâs MIT, and anything that its
| faculty senate adopts unanimously is likely
| to become a de facto standard. In this
| case, MITâs faculty has agreed that
| research articles authored by members of
| the faculty will be made freely available
| on the web, without permission or payment
| barriers to the reader.
`----

https://www.hypios.com/thinking/2010/03/05/five-for-friday-biggest-breakthroughs-in-open-science/

Scottish Information Commissioner challenges public authorities to "think FOI"

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2009 Report, which also celebrates the
| first five years of FOI in Scotland, is
| being presented electronically for the
| first time through an interactive website.
| Additional features in the report include
| video commentary, interactive tables, user
| stories, and detailed chronologies charting
| the development of FOI in Scotland over its
| first five years. Hard copies of the report
| will be available by contacting the
| Commissioner's office on 01334 464610.
`----

http://foia.blogspot.com/2010/03/scottish-information-commissioner.html

Truly Open Data

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source discourages laziness (because
| everyone can see the corners you've cut),
| it can get bugs fixed or at least
| identified much faster (many eyes), it
| promotes collaboration, and it's a great
| training ground for skills development. I
| see no reason why open data shouldn't bring
| the same opportunities to data projects.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/03/truly-open-data.html

Filling the Gap: Open Clip Art Library Provides More than 26,000 Images

,----[ Quote ]
| Would you like some Libre content to go
| with those free and open source
| applications? One of the initial challenges
| that the open source community has had in
| supplanting proprietary solutions is not
| just the software itself, but the entire
| ecosystem that has built up around
| proprietary software. Case in point: While
| you can find top-notch free and open source
| tools to create artful documents, finding
| clip art and templates that are free is a
| much bigger challenge.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/filling-the-gap-open-clip-art-library-provides-more-than-26-000-images

Love, hate, and the Wikipedia contributor culture problem

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/3/love-hate-and-wikipedia-contributor-culture-problem